The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to set up a new aquarium, and would like to attach riccia to my driftwood. Given my past experience tying down java moss to driftwood in another of my aquariums, I would like to try to contribute less to my swear jar.

I've tried googling, and looking through past posts here, but I'm uncertain as to whether anyone has been successful in using glue to affix riccia to driftwood.

Any first-hand experience?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I grow a lot of riccia and do not think that you would be able to glue it. go to Walmart and buy nylon mesh from the arts and crafts area for dirt cheap, a couple of bucks. You can wrap that around the riccia and driftwood.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I tried riccia and ended up getting rid of it to my dismay :(

I loved the look of it, but it was growing so fast in my tank that I couldn't keep up with the trimming.

The bottom sections of it decay as the top grows due to lack of light. When you try to pinch it or trim it, the loose pieces of it float around your tank like tiny pine needles.

I would say to do the mesh net for sure and really stay on top of the pinching and pruning so it doesn't get too large. Once it gets larger it detaches and floats off into a million pieces.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love the look of Riccia. I have it tied on rocks, and each week I take out the rocks it's tied on and trim it, and then place each of the rocks back in the tank. Lot of work but, for me the look of it is so good it is worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for the riccia advice. I guess on some of the driftwood pieces, I'll use java moss, and stick to glue. What are some other 'different' looking mosses to try that will adhere well with glue? I'll have to find a good home for the tub of riccia I just ordered.
*(I understand riccia isn't a 'moss', and is a floating plant, but I love the look of it when it's tied, or netted to driftwood, I just don't have the dexterity to tie it down properly without wanting to throw things or punch holes in walls)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Depends what you're looking for in terms of growth. There's Pellia or "wave moss", Fissidens species, christmas, peacock, flame, and weeping mosses, and many more. Check the plant lists on the site and see what's offered in the For Sale section to get some ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.