The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of creating my own nano aquarium decorations. I'm using a variety of safe substances such as crafting plastic mesh, rocks (tested and cleaned), glass, foam, and so on. I know that hot glue doesn't have the staying power in an aquarium setting.

My question is what kind of glue/epoxy/whatever is best to use? I prefer if the end result is either white or transparent.

I know that it's safe to use super glue/krazy glue that has cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient.

Any others?

Reactions: TheRedneckHippie

·
Registered
43 Posts
100% Silicone

Silicone works but you need to make sure it says on it "100% silicone". Other ls that are not 100% silicone have antI algae chemicals or other chemicals that are not safe for fish even when cured. You can get 100% silicone at lowes or home depot. Aquarium silicone from your lfs works too but is way more expensive

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Point to watch if using something that will float like foam and gluing it. Adhesives have a nasty habit of holding things together but when some things like wood or foam begin to really soak, they may get soft or change shape just a tiny bit. The big scary is that it may hold for a while and then suddenly decide to let go. That can leaves something that floats acting more like a submarine coming off the bottom and that can be bad for things above like lights or glass lids. Not a real stopper but I do like to use something solid for things like wood that may not soak up and waterlog for a long time.
Just another little thing to be aware but not stop you?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Silicone works but you need to make sure it says on it "100% silicone". Other ls that are not 100% silicone have antI algae chemicals or other chemicals that are not safe for fish even when cured. You can get 100% silicone at lowes or home depot. Aquarium silicone from your lfs works too but is way more expensive
Even if it says 100% silicone it still can contain mildewcides etc since they make up such a small portion of the container.

GE 1 is OK. If it's for tubs and bath stay away Joe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I accidentally bought silicone sealant that I thought was pure. But a full reading of the ingredients showed it was not. Oops.

So, off to find 100% silicone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to me you should go after super glue/crazy glue that has cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient. I remember when the renovation of my bedrooms, bathroom was going to the experts whom I contacted for the bathroom renovation project used some different techniques to Reglaze the bathtub and to give them a look as it was before. You can take some helpful hints from their official site on which they have uploaded videos about refinishing the bathtub.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been using Super Glue and Gorilla Glue with cyanoacrylate for a while now, and they have both worked great. So far I haven't had anything I've used them on fall apart in the aquarium, and that includes during a 3 day RV trip (my nano aquarium is in my RV).

·
Registered
471 Posts
SUPER Glue GEL is the one with cyanoacrylate and is used by aquarium plant nurseries for attachment of plants on wood.. soak the wood use some glue.. hold it for a moment-- with water it isn't instant.. if it pulls use a little more glue on the glue that stays attached to the wood.. second time will be the charm if necessary give it about 3 more minutes to dry an d voila.. now do not use too much at once as it turns a pasty white color for about a week or so. keep it small enough to hide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for asking this, JAMarlow, and thanks to all of you who've offered answers. This is some great info! I love anubias, buces, and other things that need attaching instead of rooting, and have been having trouble with tying them onto things. It's hard to find that sweet spot between tight enough to hold and tight enough to cut the rhizome. Now I can glue and tie both. Bet the'll stay put now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.