The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that this picture was of two different strains of Glossolepis wanamensis from different collection points, but I just received 3 males from a Florida farmer (assuredly from the same stock) and have two dark blue and one bright gold fish! I've never heard of such a drastic variation in the males of a dimorphic fish! Does anyone know the dominant color pattern? Mine are spawning already, and I'm not sure which color male to breed, or if it makes a difference in color yield . . .

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Glossolepis Wanamensis are like chameleons, they can display a lot of different colors depending on their mood.

That being said, that is a large color variation. It may be somewhat enhanced by the use of a flash.

I would recommend you take the question to the Rainbowfish Live group on FB. Most of the top breeders in the country hang out there, including Gary Lange.

There has been a push in recent years to bring Bows with good lineage to some of the fish farms. If you mention the source, someone may be able to tell you where the strain originated from.

Here's a recent thread from the Rainbowfish Live group on Wanamensis. As you can see, it gets a bit muddied sometimes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rainbowfishaquarium/permalink/4747393365335694/?comment_id=4750678735007157&reply_comment_id=4750798141661883

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I didn't know about that FB group, probably because I don't go on there much.

The fish I received are the strain Gary Lange brought back from Germany, and my males show the same dramatic color variation as in the photo above, just as juveniles and just getting their color. This was after three days in the holding tank. One is gold all the time, and two are blue/green all the time. When they turn on the difference gets even more dramatic. Here are mine kind of "half-way" turned on. Btw, the gold one is by far the most dominant, even though he is the smallest.

A recessive trait or something?? I never came across anything like this in rainbows before. I'll certainly ask the FB group, thanks again.

The Florida farms (at least the one I deal with, and Segrest as well) are really aware of their lineages these days, and have never been shy about telling/publishing me exactly where they obtained their stock from.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's a gorgeous fish right there. I'm very excited to get mine fat and happy. I think I'm going to stick the gold guy in the breeding tank tonight, he's just so alpha he deserves it.

Thanks once again for the FB link. I'll be talking to the Florida farmer again about these. It seems I should hold off on breeding them. :(

The gold (hybrid) is stunning, but will look great in my community tank. It looks like I'll need to "pull up a chair" if I want to get any kind of clarity to this. I does seem more likely the farmer is dealing with two different stocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts