The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
HC is a great foreground plant that never grows vertical and it doesn't really need a ton of light like glosso does. I'm growing mine at 1.8 watts per gallon. Plus, its compact growth looks much neater.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Glossostigma elatinoides(glosso) & Hemianthus callitrichoides(HC)

I like them both :D
HC, once it gets going is an awsome site to watch, its very compact and uniform. When in clumps up it looks incredible.

Glosso is also a fun plant. This one needs some good lighting to stay low to the floor. It will also begin to grow over itself and you will soon have layers of glosso which can get messy to clean up and trim.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
glosso is a fun plant, but it gets out of control a lot faster. HC seems to be slower getting started and slower growing overall, at least in my experience. But, as mentioned already, the compact growth looks real neat when its grown in.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
IMO.......bigger tank-glosso, smaller tank-HC

I prefer the smaller leaves on Hc over the larger leaves on glosso

·
Registered
26 Posts
It really depends on the resolution that you need for the size tank you are 'scaping. Both can look great, but glosso looks better in larger tanks, and HC in smaller tanks. It's all about proportions. BUT, if you plan to do glosso, be prepared for LOTS of trimming & maintenance. It grows like a bugger under the proper conditions. and it will grow up & over just about anything.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Glosso can be a monster when not kept in check. Carpeting bewteen, under, and over everything in an aquarium.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah. Glosso is definately no joke. I was trimming it constantly when it was in my 20g, as it constantly grew up and over itself and sent runners (sometimes under the substrate) and I would see it popping up in the back of the tank sometimes. lol. For my 90g, I decided to not go with it, as the maintenance was something that I was not willing to put up with. At least right now. Nice plant though. Amano sure likes it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
these are cool looking plants... i'll definitely get one...
tropica.com says glosso is very difficult.
and HC is medium in demands.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
glosso if fussy, but not difficult.
for example, when I had 2.5 wpg and 3mm inert gravel, my glosso was healthy but would not spread.
now that I have eco-complete and 3.5wpg, my glosso threatens to take over my entire foreground.
what I like about glosso is it does not require Co2, but like everyone says, it needs to be controlled.
I would have used HC, but I was under the impression that it won't grow without compressed Co2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you. i have a confession. That little bit of micro sword is one of those six inche sqaure mats I got from the lfs. I think that picture was taken the day i put it in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm trying to get Glosso to carpet in my 55g. I've trimmed it 3 times so far, and I'm finally starting to see some horizontal growth instead of upward growth. But even the horizontal runners are above the substrate. Is that how it's supposed to be? I always imagined the runners would spread underneath the gravel and just the leaves would stick up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts