The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks like I'm in need of a trim here. But how do I go about doing it? Also, is that the only way to get glosso to carpet?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
To get glosso to carpet you have to first "train" it first. Just trim down to 1 node. If you want you could replant the trimmings but only with 1 node. If there is 2, it'll continue to grow up as it already is. If theres only one the glosso will be forced to grow sideways and send runners.

-Cheerss

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Idk why, but my glosso started carpeting on its own, although it grows up in places where it crowds itself out. How strong is your lighting?

But I would trim and replant the trimmings, eventually they will spread sideways and not go straight up.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
if there is two nodes it doesnt mean it will grow up as it is now, there are two methods id tell u to go for, toping where u keep trimming the tops to train them but for new areas that arent filled it you can also just pull the tall sections down into the substrate and let it keep growing with faster results as you keep the bio mass of the plant, then when it starts going to up top the plant at your desired height that you prefer.

if you dont mind planting all the little trimmings they will all grow if they have enough mass/structure to start over. even left floating they will grow and make new roots but will be odd/diformed from being floated and have constant movement.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My light is definitely strong enough. 1 bulb Catalina T5HO just above the top of the tank.
I'm using a 1 bulb Catalina t5ho over my glosso with the DSM currently. About 20 inches above substrate. Noticed a little vertical growth. I added my coralife dual t5ho fixture in addition to speed up growth. Not sure of vertical growth was due to lack of light or improper planting techniques because I got too lazy to cut all my glosso into individual nodes. I've still got a golf ball of it to cut up :/

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
it doesnt have as much to do with the light as people think, they just say it cause thats what they have read. i let some glosso go with a 90w led (way to powerful) and still got growth over 6" withing a couple weeks. plants will always compete for the best light so if it means growing up over itself or smothering another plant out it will do what ever it has to to be ensure its getting the best chance to live and reproduce, a plant doesnt know what we want out of it so dont expect it to do what we want without some work. think of your tank like a bonsai tree it doesnt look anything like that in nature its only achieved though hard work to get that shape/look.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just keep on cutting them to a height of .5 inches. They get small and the growth is sideways. Just keep pruning to the desired size. Its like training a topiary. Its very easy I swear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.