The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any trick how to make glosso grown side way not straight up ??? i want to grown glosso carpet but so far is grown straight to the light . looking like a mid plants ( freaking ugly :))

·
Registered
405 Posts
mine's growing just the way you describe that you want yours to grow. I don't know a particular reason for that flat, carpet-like habit other than to day that I have about 4-wpg of t5 lighting on a 21-inch deep tank...pressurized CO2...and I use EI-dosing on the higher side because of the high lighting on the tank.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I have a Catalina 4X54W T5HO directly above my glosso (approx 21"), pressurized CO2, mainly substrate feeding, but I put some ferts in the water column from time to time and mine look like this. They just keep growing taller rather than spreading. I wish I knew how to make it spread also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had some trouble with glosso also, though it somewhat carpets for me. I've gotten two different answers as to creeping; the first is from Tom Bar, he pointed me in the direction of consistency of lighting. He stated that letting light overshadow it from tall stems then trimming back would cause issues.

The other was from George Lo, who said that a good substrate is vital to getting glosso to creep, and indicated high lighting. I've seen glosso creep under low light, but there may be something to nutrient sediment that's of value.

I'll be trying glosso again for the first time with ADA AS at some point this week/month with very consistent lighting.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Catalina 4X54W T5HO directly above my glosso (approx 21"), pressurized CO2, mainly substrate feeding, but I put some ferts in the water column from time to time and mine look like this. They just keep growing taller rather than spreading. I wish I knew how to make it spread also.
this's exactlly what iam talking about.. i thought i had read some where that there's a trick to make glosso spreading out low like a nice carpet plant , goggle it cant find it . thats why i post here thought someone should know .

·
Registered
206 Posts
If it were the CO2 alone then I wonder why mine didn't grow like that with a needle wheel modded powerhead aimed directly at it, full EI dosing, and appropriate lighting.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
405 Posts
sorry...I don't mean to suggest that it's just CO2. What I mean to say is that IF the light's there and so are the ferts, I think...though I am certainly not sure...then high CO2 would get it to grow like a matt rather than upward.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I roll my own liquid ferts; EI plus a lot of personal research backing it. CO2 sits lime green on a 4kh drop checker sitting in a low flow area of the tank away from the powerhead, blowing directly on to the glosso. It grew straight up quite badly until I limited how often the light got blocked. I can't wait to try it now that I'm fully over to ADA AAS rather than eco-complete, which lacks nutrients.

It's also been done carpeted without CO2 numerous times; glosso is actually a pretty low tech plant:

http://fins.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200203/msg00792.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/85583-can-you-grow-glosso-without-co2.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...s-discussions/59230-glosso-hc.html#post446822

-Philosophos

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good quality light "2 bulb 48" t5ho with reflectors pictured below"
Co2 "the more the better"
Flourite or better substrate
Acclimated glosso "this can make a big difference at times"
I get best results with far less then ei dosing.
Over time you can ramp up to higher dosing.
Keep it in the open for the most part when you start it.
When its growing and spreading out you can trim the little shoots in corners and along glass.

Then you just mow like a lawn!
hth
md

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've had some trouble with glosso also, though it somewhat carpets for me. I've gotten two different answers as to creeping; the first is from Tom Bar, he pointed me in the direction of consistency of lighting. He stated that letting light overshadow it from tall stems then trimming back would cause issues.

The other was from George Lo, who said that a good substrate is vital to getting glosso to creep, and indicated high lighting. I've seen glosso creep under low light, but there may be something to nutrient sediment that's of value.

I'll be trying glosso again for the first time with ADA AS at some point this week/month with very consistent lighting.

-Philosophos
I've talked to Tom Barr about this in person also. I have a 24" Tek t5ho 4x24W fixture over my 60p. When I was running all 4 bulbs for about 8 hours a day, I was getting vertical growth. After talking to Tom Barr, I decided to try the low light method, since increasing light and CO2 didn't seem to work. I'm currently running half of my lights (48W) for 9 hours a day at 1' above the tank and have been getting great horizontal growth. I have, however, seen in person George Lo's glosso only tank, which supports his theory. But, George is running around 6 WPG over this tank, blasting CO2, and is constantly having algae issues. This route is definitely a high maintenance tank and the glosso takes on a much different appearance than is common. Personally, I don't like to scrape my glass more than once a week so I've decided to be patient with the growth and take the low light route.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another example
this is old glosso that has filled in so tight the only way to grow is up! At this point you can trim or mow it as desired!

Btw I have not cleaned the glass or anything else in this tank for 5+ months. So I would say this is a low maintenance system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've talked to Tom Barr about this in person also. I have a 24" Tek t5ho 4x24W fixture over my 60p. When I was running all 4 bulbs for about 8 hours a day, I was getting vertical growth. After talking to Tom Barr, I decided to try the low light method, since increasing light and CO2 didn't seem to work. I'm currently running half of my lights (48W) for 9 hours a day at 1' above the tank and have been getting great horizontal growth. I have, however, seen in person George Lo's glosso only tank, which supports his theory. But, George is running around 6 WPG over this tank, blasting CO2, and is constantly having algae issues. This route is definitely a high maintenance tank and the glosso takes on a much different appearance than is common. Personally, I don't like to scrape my glass more than once a week so I've decided to be patient with the growth and take the low light route.
I've stopped by AFA as well and seen the glosso tank. BGA land. I've seen glosso create a mat at low and high light, low and high CO2, under a number of dosing methods. I've also seen it grow straight up at least once in every common substrate besides AS, under a multitude of methods. To say that it can happen under a set of circumstances is not to say that the correlating variables are requirements or causes for that thing to occur, especially when the results can not be consistently reproduced.

I think the mistake is to say we know the specific variables right now, let alone their parameters. I'm even skeptical of the people who get carpet; I'm not sure they know why it worked either, given that I've seen setups within the same condition fail. Too often we presume that because someone can grow a plant, that they know why it grows the way it does. One thing we should all have figured out by now is that not even the best of the hobby have a full understanding of the systems we keep.

I'm trying AS since its the only variable that correlates with glosso carpeting under high tech conditions. This is conjecture based on limited information, not some sort of elegant tautology. Perhaps if one method or factor can be found that is highly reproducible, we can deconstruct it and find the specifics out. At that point we will have one answer, but this will not negate the possibility of other causes. For now, I'm convinced we don't really know what we're doing based on the evidence presented.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will step forward with the answer, but for now I'm going to go looking for a little bit rather than just hypothesizing. Hopefully the glosso will be here in the next couple of days, and I'll have my hardscape ready.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm sure it has alot to do with trimming technique. Trim the glosso low so that bottom stem gets LOTS of light. Because glosso's root structure I'm sure it would benefit from an extremely rich substrate.

If all else fails, go 6 wpg with MH or T5 lighting and blast away with co2. Dose like a mutha and trim til your fingers go sore. Works everytime.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glosso is not a hard plant to grow! It spreads out just like shown in the 60 day time laps photo shoot i did and posted! I trim it 90 days after planting and then as desired for the life of the display.
Its not rocket science, its just a plant!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glosso is not a hard plant to grow! It spreads out just like shown in the 60 day time laps photo shoot i did and posted! I trim it 90 days after planting and then as desired for the life of the display.
Its not rocket science, its just a plant!

I've tried it twice, and killed it both times. I suspect its a nitrate pig. Both times I got BGA, and the blackout to kill the BGA took out the glosso as well. I thought it was better established the second time but, nope, I still killed it. The good news is, the BGA hasn't come back.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm sure it has alot to do with trimming technique. Trim the glosso low so that bottom stem gets LOTS of light. ...
I think that's right...but, also, I'd suggest that the planting itself of the glosso may well have something to do with it...at least in the beginning. If you plant "larger" bunches of it then it would grow upward rather than in a spreading, low habit. When I plant it, I take very small "sprigs" (for lack of better word...but what I mean is just a few leaves with the small whitish root-structure under them) and plant them deep into the substrate (by pushing them in with my finger) with just a leaf or two or three, at most, showing. I plant these about 3/4 to 1-inch away from one another and in no more than two-week's time they cover the entire area where they'd been planted. using the very small "starters" as described, IMO, definitely promotes a horizontal growth habit if there's sufficient lighting on the tank.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Had glosso once. Ditched it from the tank when it got overgrown with BGA. Never have tried it again...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts