The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello -
Newbie getting into this, tank has been running about a year, but within the last few weeks, took out old fish (Platys) and am down to Red Cherry Shrimp, a Cory, and three otos. Also switched substrate to EcoComplete.
Running Pressurized CO2, and PC 6725 lighting....annubias have been growing well, also some moss...but today from the LFS, went out and got a single bunch of GLOSSO!

I separated it into individual stems, trimmed off the dead roots, and planted it, my question is:

DID I PLANT IT DEEP ENOUGH? NOT DEEP ENOUGH? ETC. ETC.

Any feedback is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the Glosso stay in your gravel,that's fine. Replant those that floats up. Once Glosso rooted,they tends to spread at a faster rate with high lights. There might be some growing upwards,trim them and replant.

K.C

·
Banned
217 Posts
they look deep enough...but for the future...glosso is really easy to grow...the trick to planting is separate into stems (of about 3 leaves each) and plant them entirely in the substrate...then "brush" the substrate off until you can see the tops of the leaves...then youre set. Once established...it grows like a weed and will try to take over everything

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glosso growing...but what now?

Ok, so thanks for the replies, I thought I would keep everyone up to date.

It has been about 4 days now, Glosso is growing, I thought I would get some melt, but it looks good.

The questions are:

do I trim it now?
do I plant it deeper?
If I trim it, can I plant the trimmings alongside the alread planted parts?
Do I just sit and wait?

Oh, I have Eco complete substrate,
Dose Flourish every day (moving to dry ferts soon but want to finish bottle of Flourish
Pressurized CO2 at 1-2 bps (drop checker green)
Power Compact Fluorescent 40 W 11 hrs day (1 BULB 6725K and 1 BULB Dual Actinic) (I know, I know Dual Actinic, :icon_lol: not appropriate, I just got this and am waiting to get another 6725 or 10K
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
You can trim it and replant the cuttings. All you have to do is trim out some Y shapes and plant them wherever you want. I'm currently in the same boat as you and its workin out good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can trim it and replant the cuttings. All you have to do is trim out some Y shapes and plant them wherever you want. I'm currently in the same boat as you and its workin out good.
What do you mean "Y shapes"? Do you mean just trim clippings off that have 2-3 leaves on them and look like a "Y"?

Also, when you say "workin out good" is the carpet filling in?

I seem to recall a thread around here that talked about glosso, and light, ferts, etc, but most people just said to plant it REALLY DEEP, so that only a leaf was showing, and that was the trick to getting it to "carpet."

Any other advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
they look deep enough...but for the future...glosso is really easy to grow...the trick to planting is separate into stems (of about 3 leaves each) and plant them entirely in the substrate...then "brush" the substrate off until you can see the tops of the leaves...then youre set. Once established...it grows like a weed and will try to take over everything
Yeah just plant the way described here the cuttings will probably just have 2 leaves though. So it will look Y shaped when you plant them. The plants you will have gotten the cuttings from will have a better root system and will throw up leaves to replace the cuttings and they should still have a couple leaves on the stems still for photosynthesis. It will take a little bit for the cuttings to grow there own roots and then they will start growing horizontally but don't worry if they grow vertically again.. just keep trimming and replanting. If they all grow vertically constantly you may need to raise your lighting. I think it's also best to try to plant the new cuttings almost horizontally in the substrate. Just bury real good with just the tops of the leaves showing.

I just did this to my glosso yesterday. From the last picture you posted I can see that you have plenty of trimming to do.. just leave some leaves on the plant you are trimming from.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The "runners" are actually the stem growing horizontally. Once one of your glosso stems does this more leaves will grow up from the lower nodes of the stem all while the stem is growing longer along the bottom of the tank. You will be golden once that happens. Because as the stem gets longer the added support of all the combined leaves just pushes the whole plant to grow faster and shoot more leaves from the lower nodes.

Oh, and I think you will have much better luck once you've replaced that bulb. I'm waiting on a second fixture for my tank just for foreground plants.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just push the longer stems deeper into the substrate.
Ok, so here it is...look above for the progression....

1st pic - original planting

2nd pic - after 4 days

3rd pic - after 6 days, and trimming/planting DEEP.... (This is the third pic here)

I will let you know how it turns out..

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.