The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glosso growing vertically with high light

4642 19
I've got more than 5wpg on my 1.5 gallon nano. I have iron fertilizer in the substrate and I still don't know why my glosso is growing vertically. I planted it deeply in the beginning with only two leaves showing at the top. And my glosso continues to grow vertically, why? It grows one on top of the other with a lot of roots, and it's growing like a weed. I've heard that it grows vertically when there isn't any circulation, is this true? Because my tank right now is just fish and plants (and co2, light, ferts, etc) no pumps or anything. Could this be the reason?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi iGabe,

I have 2 thoughts:

1. The lack of a pump may be affecting your co2 distribution through the tank. A pump will allow the co2 to be spread around the tank, just get something small to move some water around.

2. Try giving the glosso a trim, down to one or two leaves on each stem above the substrate. When a plant is trimmed, it will stimulate new shoots lower down the stem. Those shoots will have more of a tendency to grow horiztontally. You may have to keep trimming, once a week or so, but eventually, you should be able to get it growing horizontally.

Hope this helps!
Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gsmitchell!
Just got a nano filter today, and hopefully it will help distribute the co2 (before the co2 bubbles just stayed at the surface, it looked like a giant bubblenest). I put the co2 airstone in the filter chamber.

As for tip #2, should I "try" to replant the trimmings?

Thank you very much for the advice without the aggressive criticism, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
it might be because you don't have enough light. I mean, you could have a 5W light on a 1g tank, and it still wouldnt be high light. I mean, technically its 5 wpg, but its still only 5 watts. so the light intensity still needs to be much more than that. I would say try getting a 15W or so light and see if it grows better.

Theres this one desk lamp that people like to use on nanos, i think hampton bay or someone makes it? anyway its got really high wattage in a small PC bulb i think. I've got something like it (mine was Verilux) that i used to have over my 5g, and i really liked it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As for tip #2, should I "try" to replant the trimmings?
Yes, replant them, and try to get them to lay horizontally if you can (by partially burying them in the substrate).

it might be because you don't have enough light. I mean, you could have a 5W light on a 1g tank, and it still wouldnt be high light. I mean, technically its 5 wpg, but its still only 5 watts. so the light intensity still needs to be much more than that. I would say try getting a 15W or so light and see if it grows better.

Theres this one desk lamp that people like to use on nanos, i think hampton bay or someone makes it? anyway its got really high wattage in a small PC bulb i think. I've got something like it (mine was Verilux) that i used to have over my 5g, and i really liked it.
That is also a great suggestion, however, you will likely not be able to find the same desk lamp in Sao Paolo. One thing that seems to have more of an effect than ultimate wattage-per-gallon is light intensity. A 7.5 watt light just isn't very intense. You could even try using a spiral flourescent in a cheap clip-on flood light fixture. Get a reasonably high wattage light (approx. 20 watts) and give it a shot! Let us know how it works.

Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, hahaha :), you guys don't understand. I have more than 5 watts per gallon, not a 5 watt lamp. Hell no, I wouldn't be caught dead growing glosso with a 5 watt lamp! What I said in my first post, is that I have more than 5 watts per gallon (wpg). I have a 15-25 watt lamp over my tank LOL.

Anyways for now, my plants will have to take a little break (from growing) as I'm battling algae. REALLLY SUCKS :(. I have my filter's flow rate maxed up. And I am also currently doing a blackout with daily water changes. Might even get an oto.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Glosso grows vertically for one of two reasons, not enough light or the light output of the bulb is less than desirable.

Plants that grow taller and shade the glosso will impact it's growth. Even though you have ample wattage, there isn't enough light to get down to the plants.

I had glosso at one point in my 29 gallon with a 130W PC fixture, pressurized CO2, and a steady fert dosing schedule. Everything was going great until my taller plants shaded my glosso. It went from tight horizontal to loose lateral. When I intially planted the glosso, It was also not performing the way I wanted it to. I replaced my two bulbs with new ones and noticed an almost immediate difference in growth.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glosso grows vertically for one of two reasons, not enough light or the light output of the bulb is less than desirable.

Plants that grow taller and shade the glosso will impact it's growth. Even though you have ample wattage, there isn't enough light to get down to the plants.

I had glosso at one point in my 29 gallon with a 130W PC fixture, pressurized CO2, and a steady fert dosing schedule. Everything was going great until my taller plants shaded my glosso. It went from tight horizontal to loose lateral. When I intially planted the glosso, It was also not performing the way I wanted it to. I replaced my two bulbs with new ones and noticed an almost immediate difference in growth.
I understand what you're saying. But I highly doubt that my bulb is old. It's one of those compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs with 6500K (don't understand anything to detailed about lighting :iamwithst). Does anyone think that this "6500K" has anything to do with my glosso's growth? There isn't anything that could be shading it, it's practically an iwagumi tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course, I'll try to get a pic of it as soon as my camera charges. But what I did, I put aluminum foil on the sides of the fixture (very ghetto lol) so the "leftover" light doesn't go to waste. I'll try to find a better fixture with compact fluorescents. Overall, my tank looks super bright. The 6500K looks like a VERY VERY PLAIN white.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've never had a problem growing glosso. As biscuit said, I have noticed that glosso grows vertical for 2 reasons. Light intensity and light duration. I had 4 wpg of pc light on a 55 gal and glosso was still growing vertical. Intensity was there but I was only running the lights for like 6 hrs. I then lengthened one bank of lights to like 9hrs and shortened the other bank. Didn't want to invite algae. That worked for me. Just make sure all you're ferts and co2 are in check. Like everyone else has suggested, I would either get a better light or at least maybe a better reflector. Oh yeah, the desk lamp that everyone is talking about is from hampton bay and you can get it from the big orange box store. I don't know what you guys have over there, but that lamp has a 27 watt pc light with a decent reflector. I've grown glosso with that light in a 2.5 gal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have an ADA 60p with the 96w tek t5 fixture over it and I had difficulty keeping the glosso horizontal also. I was doing an 8 hour photoperiod with all 96 watts on and couldn't get it to stop growing vertically, so i gave up and ripped it all out. I turned the light down to 48 watts (flipped off a switch) and immediately the glosso started growing horizontally. I also stopped dosing dry ferts and turned down the co2 from 4 to 2 bps. I'm not too sure what was going on, but its stayed horizontal ever since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got more than 5wpg on my 1.5 gallon nano. I have iron fertilizer in the substrate and I still don't know why my glosso is growing vertically. I planted it deeply in the beginning with only two leaves showing at the top. And my glosso continues to grow vertically, why? It grows one on top of the other with a lot of roots, and it's growing like a weed. I've heard that it grows vertically when there isn't any circulation, is this true? Because my tank right now is just fish and plants (and co2, light, ferts, etc) no pumps or anything. Could this be the reason?
Hmm...
how long have you planted them? Mine when I recently plant glosso, one of what I planted grew vertically and all the others go horizontal. The vertical one seems to bend to the substrate (AS amazonia) and puts out a bunch of roots and trieds to send shoots into the substrate.

In my experience, they go fine without CO2 and grow pretty well as it grows really fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what's going on, I planted them around 2 weeks ago. And I kept the lights on for like 10 hours (with co2) and it kept growing vertically, but now I noticing that the new shoots that were growing upwards are now sort of tilting downwards so that the roots can attach themselves to the substrate. It's sort of hard to explain, I'm going to give it a week to see if it starts sending out runners or else I'm going to yank it and replant everything :/

And yes I know what a hampton bay lamp is as well as a big orange store (home depot LOL), I had one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The glosso is finally growing horizontally! Probably thanks to my nano filter and oto for keeping it down. Check out my journal for more info (on my sig).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.