The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! A few weeks back I posted a thread here asking for CO2 system suggestions, and I decided to go with GLA's primo system because I want a great system that will last forever. ;) I'm also going to get fertilizers, and my lighting is a coralife aqualight with 6700k bulbs giving me 2.4 wpg. Now it's time to choose what are good for my tank!

The thing that I want to get started on is the foreground. I really like the look of glosso and I love how it spreads, but I've heard mixed opinions on how it'll grow on moderate lighting. Do you think I should I get the glosso, and if not what's a good replacement for it? Another thing I'm looking into is a plant that will attach to manzanita driftwood to resemble a tree. Is riccia a good choice? How about long background plants? Any other suggestions?! :help:

Aaaand what's the best website to get plants from? There's a lot of LFS in san diego but when it comes to plants all the ones I've seen are pretty pathetic looking so I'd rather buy online...

Sorry for bombarding with questions, and thanks so much!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't answer other questions due to preference for low light/tech, but I can recommend Aquabotanic.com as an economical, quality resource for ordering plants.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
How tall is your tank? What kind of bulbs are you using (PC, T5, T5HO)?
2.4 wpg should be enough for glosso, but if your tank is tall, the glosso may grow taller instead of compact near the substrate.
Riccia doesn't really attach itself to wood or rocks. It needs to be tied down. It also makes a mess (IMO) when you trim and if you don't get it all out you will have riccia growing in places you don't want it. Try ferns or moss if you want a "tree" look. Anubias is another option for attaching to wood, although not very "tree" like.
My favorites online are aquabotanic.com and sweetaquatics.com. If you have patience, shop in the SNS here on the forum or post a WTB (want to buy). The majority of plants you get from members are far superior and sometimes larger quantities than what you will find at online vendors. There are also a lot of plants offered in the SNS that you won't find at LFS or online vendors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aquabotanic.com seems to be the best option so far ;)

The aqualight is a power compact I think, and the tank is just the regular 55 gallon tank, so the height is about 21"? Doesn't have to be glosso necessarily, but just something that makes a carpet in that style but I don't want to get too over-ambitious since it's my first seriously planted tank. O.O

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
You could try a Marselia species for a foreground. It grows very similar to glosso without the problems of tall/short growth. With any foreground, I would try and get some from a member. Most commercial growers grow theirs emersed and the plants have a low survival rate when suddenly submerged. I have recv foreground plants from several online retail sources that were grown emersed and had a difficult time getting them to adjust underwater.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Glosso, and most other plants, did perfectly fine in my 29 gallon with just under 2 watts per gallon. The only issues I have had with plants under low light is color. They just don't come out with small amounts of light. I think 2.5 watts per gallon is great, gives you good, health plants, just limits you a bit. Not all colorful plants need high light though so you can even have a colorful tank without the issues of high light. I sometimes regret going up to 4 watts per gallon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to hear that glosso did good with your 2wpg! What kind of plants don't show as much color in lower wattage? Or is it a general thing? :O

Yeah, I've heard that some people have success with glosso with 2~ish wpg, but it grows upwards. I've also read about marseila but I think that plant grows very slowly? I'm going to make a thread looking for both and see what I come up with. =)

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I have Glosso in one tank and Marselia in another. The Glosso is about 2 weeks behind in planting, so it will be interesting to see which fills in first.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Great to hear that glosso did good with your 2wpg! What kind of plants don't show as much color in lower wattage? Or is it a general thing? :O

Yeah, I've heard that some people have success with glosso with 2~ish wpg, but it grows upwards. I've also read about marseila but I think that plant grows very slowly? I'm going to make a thread looking for both and see what I come up with. =)
I actually haven't indetified many of the plants in my tank but almost all that don't do well at lower light are red/orange/pink. They still grow fine, they just don't get intense colors for me. I have yet to encounter a green plant that didn't look like it was getting enough light at 2wpg

As for it usually growing up, mine just didn't do that. I do have t5 lighting. On the flip side, HM usually grows up. I trained it to carpet, I bet glosso can be trained the same as well. However, I planted my glosso stem by stem so that may make a difference. I had co2, both diy then pressurized so that could easily make a difference because more growth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts