The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought 3 new plants recently all with tropica branding - cryptocoryne wilisii, bacopa autralis and glossostigma elatinoides.. the first two are happy healthy and growing like mad - especially the bacopa, but the glosso is just dying off (turning yellow at the plant base) before it can establish itself. I have no idea where I'm going wrong, but I'm just a beginner at this stuff, so there's lots to learn.

All tank Specs & pics -> http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=348

basics:
20G
65W Aqualight PC light over stock tank hood
Pressurized CO2 @30ppm by a drop checker
dosing tropica master grow and seachem comprehensive
macros from fish waste
basic aquarium gravel
weekly 25% water changes (nitrates sit about 10-20ppm)

idears?

-Rich

·
Registered
126 Posts
Only thing that stands out is you're using gravel. It might be possible that the glosso will come back, but it sounds like a hard plant to grow without a nutrient based substrate.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree ~ from what I've read, glosso needs a nutrient rich substrate since I think it's a root feeder as much or more than it is a leaf feeder. One other thing it may be ~ after the yellowing, do the leaves turn clearish or brown-clear sort of, then "melt" away? If so, you might have been sent glosso that was grown emersed (above water). If that's it, then it'll grow back in once it adjusts to submersed conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago Tropica used to brag that they grew such fine quality aquatic plants precisely because they were grown emmersed/hydrophonically. I am not sure if that has changed but at the time I never understood why that was something to brag about when you knew you'd have to get the plants to readjust to underwater living.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

It may just be yellowing at the base because of how it is planted - mine did the same thing. With glosso, it is best to separate it out and plant each stem individually (or a couple at a time at most) Also, yours are quite tall, so you can clip them down then plant them in the gravel so only the leaves are visible - no stem. Do a search for "planting glosso" for a better description.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys.. I'll try breaking it into more chunks and planting it deeper under the gravel.. I did that with one bunch and the roots are taking off much faster... Before I had just cut the tropica sponge that contained the plant into 4 pieces and planted them along the front, but putting them well under the gravel is giving me better color already. We'll see how this goes.

-Rich

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Glossostigma does NOT need a nutrient rich substrate, nor do most plants. Glosso is extremely fast growing, it really doesn't care one way or the other.

It's likely still adjusting to submersed growth.

Are you sure you are getting enough Macros (K, especially) from fish waste and TMG/Fluorish?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a test kit for potassium? both ferts have K in them and I have root tabs running for two stem plants which also contain soluble K in the tank, but I'm flying blind. There's a lot of fish waste coming from my bristlenose and the gouramis and the nitrates can get up there even a week between water changes. The other plants in the tank are growing fast since I went to pressurized Co2. I buried some glosso from one quarter of the sample and now I'm seeing white roots everywhere and little baby plants. I'm guessing that's a good sign. I'll do that to the rest of the bundle next water change.

-Rich

·
Registered
803 Posts
Glossostigma does NOT need a nutrient rich substrate, nor do most plants. Glosso is extremely fast growing, it really doesn't care one way or the other.
My bad. I think I got it confused with HC. I've been reading about them both lately and it seems that most have had better luck with HC in AquaSoil, which I understand is a rich substrate, relatively speaking. Right? Or am I still confused?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don't need a test kit for K anyways, an excess doesn't really hurt anything, within reason I suppose, never dumped a TON in a tank - and a deficiency will become apparent in the plants. Though in your case I think it's planting method causing the problems with the glosso for now. Later on, when you have more plant mass, you may have problems with not dosing K - in fact you may have to dose N and P too, depending on bioload and uptake rate in your tank. I'm not super familiar with TMG, but I wouldn't rely on the K in Flourish Comp in a tank with fast growing plants... you could just buy some Flourish K and dose a half or even quarter dose, then if you see problems with the plants, raise it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts