The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 7 Glo Tetras that are actually genetically altered Black Skirts and I want info if anyone has kept them or done research on them etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've kept blackskirts, the only thing the jellyfish dna does is change the coloration. It was originally used in medical research and jumped lab's into home aquariums. The same methods are used to change the color of clawed frogs. It's carried in the genetics of the animal and is passed down. They will behave and require the same care as traditional blackskirts.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
call me a purist... I like Black Skirt Tetras, but dislike even the long fin varities... could never imagine raising them with Jellyfish DNA imbedded within themselves....

It's carried in the genetics of the animal and is passed down
does that mean when they breed that genetic modification is present and manifested in the offspring?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
It's better than how you get "mixed fruit tetra" I hate those people.
not fond of that... nor excessive hybridization like Blood Parrot Cichlids, Flower Horns.... nor breeding for deformities like Balloon Rams, Bubble-Eye Goldfish, BullDog Discus..

But a 21st century Fish God would have the moral authority to do whatever they want... ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
call me a purist... I like Black Skirt Tetras, but dislike even the long fin varities... could never imagine raising them with Jellyfish DNA imbedded within themselves....

does that mean when they breed that genetic modification is present and manifested in the offspring?
Yes, it does, or so I've been told. I've never had any of the glofish before. They're supposedly stable genetically and it breed true. I haven't necessarily avoided them on purpose I just honestly like the natural form much better.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Technically when they breed they should breed true, but I'm not sure what happens when you breed two different colors together (piebald? one dominant over the other? they cancel out and leave albino?). There's no monetary incentive for this, since the fish are patented and therefore you can get sued for breeding them.

I've kinda grown past all of the fish they use. Rainbow sharks need too big of a tank. Black skirts never really held my attention. Zebra danios are meh. And I don't do bettas anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I agree with you on the thing where people sell ¨mixed fruit tetras¨ it is really annoying. 😤

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never really knew the history of the “Glow tetras“ but it always didnt seem right to me.
I also just don’t really like artificial aquariums. It’s sad that they do this.
I learned a lot from this thread.
The way a lot of people treat fish as if they were toys is so sad to me.

EDIT: I’m not saying artificial aquariums are bad, In fact I used to have some and they were fun. I just meant the Mixed fruit tetra process is sad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts