The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to get more light for the cheapest I can find it, I stumbled across this T5HO ballast on Amazon for $36. Can someone explain what EXACTLY it is? It's advertised as a Ballast, but it seems it's not an actual fixture that sit on top of your tank. Seems like it mounts wherever you want it and then may have leads that will run to 2x Fluorescent bulbs. Is this why it is so cheap? Because it is simply a ballast that provides the light, but you have to come up with a fixture that will hang over your tank which you can connect it too?

It does include "bulb-mounting clips and double-gasket, water-resistant end caps". Without pictures, I can't picture in my head what that looks like. So I know with this system I'd need to purchase bulbs seperately, but would I also need to purchase reflectors or make up some kind of mounting fixture for the bulbs to go into?

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Ba...=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1314209914&sr=1-118

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but the adapters to which the bulbs attach too are there correct? Like, I will be able to power the bulbs and make light without buying any additional hardware. I may be able to get some aluminum flashing and bend it into a reflector/housing

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Ok, but the adapters to which the bulbs attach too are there correct? Like, I will be able to power the bulbs and make light without buying any additional hardware. I may be able to get some aluminum flashing and bend it into a reflector/housing
The box includes the remote mount ballast with all the wires attached and ready to go. The bulb sockets are compression ring water resistant units. The plastic bag has four screw mounted brackets to attach to your canopy and four clips that attach to the brackets and to the bulbs to hold them in place.

Check out your local hydroponics store for good quality reflectors. They will double, or more, the light going into the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.