The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Ideas n whats causing this? Increased CO2. no change. added more clay.. no change. increased light period .. no change.. when i say no change i mean no improvement. also added some clay with calcium from cuttle bone

dirted tank capped with carrib sea and a small amount of flourite.

all other plants doing great

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
It was my understanding, existing problems on leaves wont show improvement. They will need to be trimmed and existing leaves watched for the same problem.

Based on my little deficiency cheat sheet, melting/transparent leaves are either a co2, nitrate, or phosphate issues.

So maybe start there? Whats your co2 level at? Whats your dosing schedule look like? Test your nitrate and phosphate levels?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are those micro swords?
The new leaves look damaged as well, what are your tank parameters? Lighting?
It's not an iron issue and doesn't look like co2 issue either. Looks like the plant is dying from lack of light, normally swords would lose their old leaves and replace them with new ones, but even the central portions look shredded. Any more info would be key to finding the problem.
Best of luck.

Bump: Oh better shots of the plant and placement would be good as well, photo looks dark, but could be the camera exposure.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Are the clear leaves the newer, older or both new and old leaves?

It looks like the plant is shaded. Is there something growing above it?

What light do you have, what size tank, how far are the lights from the surface of the tank and how long are they on for?

The leaves in the photo look dead by the way. Also, as Absolut mentioned damaged leaves will not recover. Only newly made leaves will be healthy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was my understanding, existing problems on leaves wont show improvement. They will need to be trimmed and existing leaves watched for the same problem.

Based on my little deficiency cheat sheet, melting/transparent leaves are either a co2, nitrate, or phosphate issues.

So maybe start there? Whats your co2 level at? Whats your dosing schedule look like? Test your nitrate and phosphate levels?
I actually had removed the leaves. lol, did it again now just nubs left.. lol. will get more info on here

Bump:
Are those micro swords?
The new leaves look damaged as well, what are your tank parameters? Lighting?
It's not an iron issue and doesn't look like co2 issue either. Looks like the plant is dying from lack of light, normally swords would lose their old leaves and replace them with new ones, but even the central portions look shredded. Any more info would be key to finding the problem.
Best of luck.

Bump: Oh better shots of the plant and placement would be good as well, photo looks dark, but could be the camera exposure.
I do believe they are microw swords. they too of growing like mad then just stopped. will put more info up.

Bump:
Are the clear leaves the newer, older or both new and old leaves?

It looks like the plant is shaded. Is there something growing above it?

What light do you have, what size tank, how far are the lights from the surface of the tank and how long are they on for?

The leaves in the photo look dead by the way. Also, as Absolut mentioned damaged leaves will not recover. Only newly made leaves will be healthy.
leaves were removed. did have wisteria on top of water but not much over that area. The light is a Finnex plus approx 11 inches off substrate 20 gallon. will get more info in less than 1 hr

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
this is filament green algea in moss I have been battling a few weeks

pics are a little dark due to phone imaging

drop checker more yellow. been adjusting this

20 gallon long-MGRO dirt- carb sea with small amount of flourite - red clay in dirt - recently added some cuttlefish calcium.

kh 9 - gh 8 - ph 6.5 - nitrate nitrate ammonia @ zero.. phosphate 3 or 4

Bio load. 6 neons, 5 ember tetras, 6 whiteclouds, 2 amano shrimp. one nerite. 3 bronze cory cats, 2 otto's

Eheim 2213

Co2 . is high rite now as I forgot to turn it off last night

Finnex plus

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
The plant damage is consistent with a lack of light. Your plant issue is most likely from being shaded, especially considering that you have a soil based substrate, the other plants are not deficient and even the plant itself was fine until it got shaded.

LEDS are highly directional so there isn't as much coverage as fluorescent bulbs give. This means that each bulb covers only a few degrees of space in the tank. If anything blocks the LEDS directly above a plant that plant gets essentially no light from the rest of the fixture.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plant damage is consistent with a lack of light. Your plant issue is most likely from being shaded, especially considering that you have a soil based substrate, the other plants are not deficient and even the plant itself was fine until it got shaded.

LEDS are highly directional so there isn't as much coverage as fluorescent bulbs give. This means that each bulb covers only a few degrees of space in the tank. If anything blocks the LEDS directly above a plant that plant gets essentially no light from the rest of the fixture.
Thanx mate. Just added another light. See wot happens now.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ok.. is there any way calcium deficiency could be a part of this issue
With GH of 8? Almost certainly not. Your water is already going to be fairly calcium rich. Yes, you could in theory have water where the GH is all magnesium, but the odds of this in a natural or municipal supply are near zero.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With GH of 8? Almost certainly not. Your water is already going to be fairly calcium rich. Yes, you could in theory have water where the GH is all magnesium, but the odds of this in a natural or municipal supply are near zero.
Ok. Thanks mate. I had just added cuttlebone and clay a few days ago. Before that was running about 4gh .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.