The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glass tubing: DIY-able?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
I've been enjoying the look of some of the glass bits and bobs I've seen in many of the aquariums here, and I'm curious. Has anyone who isn't an actual glassblower of any sort made their own glass intake and output pipes?

I know there is "soft glass" that is malleable at relatively low temperatures, but I do not know if it would be chemically safe to use in an aquarium. Borosilicate, I assume, would be safe, since it's used in chemical laboratory applications, but is it shapable at the temperatures of, say, your average propane torch?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I don't know many people who've claimed to blow their own glass, but there are a few who've molded acrylic. If you're not positive what you've been looking at is glass, it's likely acrylic.
I've actually not seen ANY DIY clear piping--at least, not that I've known what I'm seeing was actually DIY. Acrylic sounds like it'd be easier to work with than glass, though--muuuuch lower woking temperature. I'm sitting here, wondering what sort of heat-resistant equipment I can borrow off my uncle (A ceramicist with several kilns in his studio)... Tongs or whatever to hold the glass while I bend, and everything. Aah, I seem to always make things way more complicated than they need to be.

Lo and behold, that WAS easy. Now I just have to find the acrylic tubes. Thanks for the link!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I remember someone here sold their own hand-made acrylic pipes. Can't find it quickly with a search, but you might want to go more in depth than I did.
Oh! Thank you! For the info and for the link. I'll take a look. I admit I feel like I'm kind of bent on making my own, the idea is kind of exciting. We'll see where it goes; I'll need to figure out what sort of things I'll need to acquire. My mom has a half dozen heat guns (big crafter), and dad's probably got any tools I'll need, a dremel and such for cutting...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.