The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you let it get dirty or full of scale. I gave up on keeping them clean years ago. I just use the small part, placing it forward of the light. No glass under the light.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you let it get dirty or full of scale. I gave up on keeping them clean years ago. I just use the small part, placing it forward of the light. No glass under the light.
I have a 96 watt CFL over my 46.
Won't the heat cause the tube to break if it gets splashed while it's on??
I'd love to get rid of the glass, but I feel the tube needs protection.
Charles

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I haven't used one in years. It's hard enough keeping the center brace clean. I wipe IT down every week with the water change. With the water level down I use a paper towel with vinegar on the underside.

SteveU

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I haven't used one in years. It's hard enough keeping the center brace clean. I wipe IT down every week with the water change. With the water level down I use a paper towel with vinegar on the underside.

SteveU
But they sure do help out with evaporation. I've got some going on my 120g because I already have to run a dehumidifier without 8 sq ft of water evaporating into the room

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I've never minded topping off a tank daily at home, it just becomes part of the daily routine. Our humidity here is almost always low so we can use a little extra in the house.

When I had my SW prop system at the shop I was using an auto top off at almost 15 gallons a day since I used fans for primary cooling. You couldn't leave anything metal in that room. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like the evaporation. It helps out the plants in the room which were donated by my mother since those plants were dieing at her house. Now they're growing nicely!

I keep the glass tops on, but don't use those plastic flaps that go on the back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You just need to keep them clean.

There are three big reasons for using glass tops:

1.) They keep the fish in the tank. How many stories have you heard of folks coming home and finding dried out fish on the floor?

2.) They cut down on evaporation tremendously. Since you would need to replace any evaporation with distilled/RO water to avoid changing water chemistry, this is a big deal, especially for those of us without RO. If use just replace with tap, you need to increase your WC frequency to prevent hardness from building up.

3.) They're a big enery/money saver. Evaporation removes alot of heat; which must be made up by the heater. The tops keep that heat in, so the heater is on less often. If you're keeping fish that need temps on the high side and the room is on the cool side (living room runs 68-65 this time of year) and especially if you're not using lights that throw off alot of heat, this can be significant.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread, but I thought perhaps this could be discussed here as we are still discussing glass tops and lighting...

Question - I have a 40 breeder. I only have one Nova Extreme 2X39 T5HO - I am happy with the total WPG. I know it should bring me to the lower end of a high light setup.

My concern is with the glass top I just installed. The middle hinge is a dark brown plastic (The plastic seem/hinge where the glass would fold back for maintenance). The hinge sits nearly in the middle of the tank, directly under my lights.

Since I am trying to just push into the high light arena (I want to grow some demanding - red plants), and my lights are pushing a wide footprint, should I worry about the loss of light from the seam/hinge vs. keeping the glass top? Should I just remove the seem/hinge? Or I am worrying about nothing?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.