The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some feedback as I put together my 75g. I have not used a top on my tanks in over 10 years. Consequently I have lost a few fish because of it. I like the open top look and function of my tanks. The only reason I am considering a glass top is I want to keep fish in my new tank from jumping out. Do you have any thoughts or opinions about using them? Any alternative options to using glass tops?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure if it's "right" or "wrong" for any reason, but I have a hinged glass top on all of my tanks. Keeps the critters from escaping, lets in light and cuts down on evaporation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think they make mesh screens for aquariums too which help with gas exchange. I like glass tops because they stop stuff from jumping out and evaporation but they also stop dust from my room from getting into my tank.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I prefer to have them. In the winter, the dry air evaporates a lot of water off my tanks. I made custom DIY lids from Lowes for my 40b's (cheap 3mm glass, but it works). my 75g has the standard folding lids on it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use glass tops on all of my tanks. Every couple of weeks I clean them with CLR and rinse with hot water. I like them

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in an area where it gets pretty cold and dry during the winter so I use them on most of my tanks to reduce evaporation loss. I'd prefer not to use them at all, but I choose glass tops over other options. They collect precipitate from the water and get dusty pretty quickly, blocking the light and looking dirty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've done it both ways. I prefer going topless. I like the easy access and the overall look. I also like floating plants which are hard to see with a top.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi @matt11390,

I think having or not having a glass lid is a personal choice. A clean glass cover (i.e. VersaTop) will reduce the light at the substrate level about 10% verses no cover. However, if you are looking at using an LED fixture on your 75 gallon unless you are going to suspend it will above the surface or purchase a fully sealed LED fixture (per IP67) you are going to want a glass cover because most LED fixtures fail for two reasons (undersized/poor quality power supply and moisture effecting LED's or circuit boards). I also recommend a LED fixture that has 120 degree lenses for better, more even spread of the light at the substrate level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts