·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Double thick laminate maybe?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Single strength glass is normally used for picture frames and commonly available at home improvement stores and usually 1/8" thick.

Double strength glass is what I use on my DIY lids and is bought from a glass shop. It is the same thickness as used in store bought glass canopies, depending on tank size.

I find the single strength is too flimsy for tanks over 10G. I'm also not careful when handling the thinner glass panels and have been known to break them easily.

DS glass is not laminated.

I had not known about DS glass until I talked with my glass shop when I needed to make some lids for a bunch of tanks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Single strength glass is normally used for picture frames and commonly available at home improvement stores and usually 1/8" thick.

Double strength glass is what I use on my DIY lids and is bought from a glass shop. It is the same thickness as used in store bought glass canopies, depending on tank size.

I find the single strength is too flimsy for tanks over 10G. I'm also not careful when handling the thinner glass panels and have been known to break them easily.

DS glass is not laminated.

I had not known about DS glass until I talked with my glass shop when I needed to make some lids for a bunch of tanks.
Hmmm I need a weird shape glass lid for an ancient 45 I think, hex front.
Maybe they could cut me one for a reasonable cost?
I hadn't considered since I broke the lid years ago and left that tank empty...

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'm sure it could be done easily enough. You just need to take careful dimensions or make a template out of poster board. Don't forget to leave space at the rear for the filter and cords.

You can buy the plastic filler strip and hinge that normally comes with glass canopies if you want, you'll just need to know the thickness of the glass to order the correct parts.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm sure it could be done easily enough. You just need to take careful dimensions or make a template out of poster board. Don't forget to leave space at the rear for the filter and cords.

You can buy the plastic filler strip and hinge that normally comes with glass canopies if you want, you'll just need to know the thickness of the glass to order the correct parts.
Actually only need the front raisable "lid" portion to fit the hex portion as it had a 3 section top.
Portion that holds the light fixture is intact as is the rear panel.
So in theory it should be easy!
Thanks for the great idea I'll certainly look into our local glass shops.
Wife will kill me but why not get that old retired tank running again lol.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Picture frame glass 1-2mm
single 2.5mm aka .100
double 3.0mm aka 1/8

cut glass for a living
Good info, thanks.
Now I can ask about a 3mm custom piece and not look like the typical "uhhhh I need a piece of ummm glass" customer lol

·
Banned
509 Posts
I own a Window Company

In the old US of A glass is sold as single strength 3/32", double strength 1/8"; 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" yada, yada, yada although I'm sure Chris is correct and there is a metric crossover.

Aquarium covers are 3/16" untempered with an obscure or pebble type finish. I believe most people just replace broken pieces with 1/4" Lexan which is sold at Home Depot and Lowe's

I know I do

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I own a Window Company

In the old US of A glass is sold as single strength 3/32", double strength 1/8"; 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" yada, yada, yada although I'm sure Chris is correct and there is a metric crossover.

Aquarium covers are 3/16" untempered with an obscure or pebble type finish. I believe most people just replace broken pieces with 1/4" Lexan which is sold at Home Depot and Lowe's

I know I do
Lexan.........of course.......how did I forget that stuff......

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I own a Window Company

I know I do
My store bought lids are clear glass. No pebble or obscure finish.

You guys haven't mentioned optical glass though. And no, I am not talking about glasses.

I've found lexan to cloud after a spell so it's always glass for me.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My store bought lids are clear glass. No pebble or obscure finish.

You guys haven't mentioned optical glass though. And no, I am not talking about glasses.

I've found lexan to cloud after a spell so it's always glass for me.
Now stop that. Now I'm considering glass again lol

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Optical glass seems overkill for what amounts to a very old tank I would think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.