The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

I have been keeping my tank for almost 3 and half years .. it costs me allot ( 190*75*55 cm) with 12mm thickness of the glass

but .. last time when i re-arranged the whole tank .. i used sponge with kind of cleaning material which caused scratches in the from Glass!!! which can be seen clearly ( inside the tank) ...

also I cannot use the back glass as there are holes, so ...

Is there any solution??

Also i need to know, when I should replace the tank with new one!! is the Glass has a limit to use!? as i just measure who much water pressure in the tank and i don't want to have a disaster in my house!

waiting your advise.. thanks to all

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well .. thank you for your kind reply

I saw this type of work in youtube..seems work but, i don't have this kind of (compound or polish)!! ..

what about the second part of my enquiry (Glass limitation)..

thanks and best regards

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
In terms of human lifespans, I would think glass will not deteriorate, get old, get weak, and break. So no need to be concerned from that point of view.

However, same can't be said from silicone that holds the glass together. So if you are talking about a regular all glass/silicone tank, I'd start to wonder after perhaps 10 years. With 3 years on your tank, I think no need for concern.

If you read the article I linked to, it is a pretty difficult and laborious undertaking. So consider how much your time is worth... might be more than the cost of a brand new tank.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like to drain and re-silicone a tank every three or four years at least. It's probably a little more often than needed, but since I've always lived in rental houses, and most of them I wasn't even supposed to have a big aquarium, so I am just cautious. Scratches on the glass are annoying, I agree. I have a bunch of them on my 55, but tod me it isn't worth the work to get them out, so I ignore them. It may be worth it for you though. I'm not sure what you mean by you can't use the back glass because it has holes in it...but unless it gets broken, glass should probably last forever, more or less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts