The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just got a leak in my 150 tall 48x24x30, this is the second tank I have lost in 2 years. I am now thinking of going acrylic. Any thoughts? thanks Ed

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
acrylic is great. it's lighter, stronger, and insulates better. just don't scratch it. i've never been able to not scratch mine. however, you can fix most of the scratches.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Simply changing to acrylic to avoid a leak isn't a guarantee. A 150 tall puts a lot of pressure on the seams. An acrylic tank of that size, unless it is thick enough -which the glass one should have been - can also spring a leak or pop a seam.

If you lived in CA instead of FL losing two tanks in two years might be the earth moving. In FL I'd have to say the tanks were old or not well built from the beginning.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for yor repley. Was wondering is your tank clearer than glass? thanks Ed
Acrylic is about 30% more clear then standard glass.
Side by side it will blow you away how clear acrylic is compaired to glass.
Also a well built stand is very important for both glass or acrylic aquariums. If properly built with a properly built and level base, either type of aquarium should last for many years. I have 10+ year old glass aquariums and 8+ year old acrylic aquariums with no problems.
hth MD

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The only time I would reconsider acrylic is once I hit the 250+ range, otherwise it's cons outweigh the benefits. Sure acrylic has many benefits, but the few cons (scratching/haziness/reflectivity) it does have work heavily against it.

Regarding clarity, Starphire is your answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts