The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the hobby and new here other than lots of reading. I'm getting ready to set up a new moderately planted 38 gallon. CO2, dry ferts, and a planted+. I went overboard and got an Eheim 2217 in case I upgrade the tank down the road. The problem that comes in is that I'm going to have Bettas in the tank so I can't have a very strong flow. I was planning on going with a poppy pipe, or one of the lily pipes with the ring at the end. Never having used this before I'm not sure if using one of them and the valve in the filter lines will decrease the flow enough. The other thing that crossed my mind was splitting the outlet with a Y and use two poppy pipes, one on each side of the tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Splitting the flow between 2 outlets would help a bunch. Partially closing the inline valve on the outlet side will also help. If your tank came with a spraybar, another option would be to use a drill to double the number of holes in the spraybar. This would reduce the force coming out of each hole. For a 38 gallon tank, I suspect the 2217 is not going to be blowing your betta against the wall. I have a 40 gallon tank with an AquaTop CF-400 filter. It has a DIY spraybar for the output. If there is some fine debris in the water, you can "see" the water movement but as far as the various stem plants are concerned, water flow is very minimal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I actually think the eheim 2217 isnt overkill at all. I recently upgraded from the 2215 to the 2217 in my 17 gallon tank and the flow is perfect with the viv violet pipe. The violet is perfect for people with floating plants as it doesnt push too much current around the surface. I have all styles on the lily pipe and each one really makes a difference depending on your live stock and plants. Too bad you dont live closer to me I would loan you some to try out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Splitting the flow between 2 outlets would help a bunch. Partially closing the inline valve on the outlet side will also help. If your tank came with a spraybar, another option would be to use a drill to double the number of holes in the spraybar. This would reduce the force coming out of each hole. For a 38 gallon tank, I suspect the 2217 is not going to be blowing your betta against the wall. I have a 40 gallon tank with an AquaTop CF-400 filter. It has a DIY spraybar for the output. If there is some fine debris in the water, you can "see" the water movement but as far as the various stem plants are concerned, water flow is very minimal.
Did come with a spray bar, but I think I want to go glass for cosmetic reasons. Do you think it's necessary to split them? I'd rather not spend the extra money if it's not necessary
Two outflows will still give you good flow with less current and the one with the ring would be better for your case.
Same as above, do you think it's necessary to use two or could I get away with one outflow? Would a typical poppy pipe work? It looks like a bowl.
I actually think the eheim 2217 isnt overkill at all. I recently upgraded from the 2215 to the 2217 in my 17 gallon tank and the flow is perfect with the viv violet pipe. The violet is perfect for people with floating plants as it doesnt push too much current around the surface. I have all styles on the lily pipe and each one really makes a difference depending on your live stock and plants. Too bad you dont live closer to me I would loan you some to try out.
I've never had a canister before as I'm very new to the hobby, so I wasn't sure. Everything I was reading seemed to point to a lower model, especially with the bettas. Isn't the violet pipe a high current one?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a poppy lily pipe. It works extremely well to decrease the amount of water movement in the aquarium but still maintain your filtration. I would think one would be enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.