The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be setting up an eheim 2213 this week with glass intake with skimmer, and glass lily pipe. This will be the first time I have a canister and right now I have a tidal 35 modified with a sponge on the intake and in the skimmer area. Is it ok for the eheim filter if I put a sponge on the intake? If that's ok, what will it do to the skimmer?

·
Registered
239 Posts
im also running a 2213 with a glass surface skimmer but no sponge prefilter. putting a sponge would probably be ok as long as you keep it clear of too much debris, because as it clogs, the level in the skimmer body will lower to the point of sucking air into the canister. i have alot of stems and their leaves and other crap often get trapped by the intake, blocking flow. i have to clean at least weekly. fyi, i do get shrimplets at the bottom of the canister when i clean it.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im also running a 2213 with a glass surface skimmer but no sponge prefilter. putting a sponge would probably be ok as long as you keep it clear of too much debris, because as it clogs, the level in the skimmer body will lower to the point of sucking air into the canister. i have alot of stems and their leaves and other crap often get trapped by the intake, blocking flow. i have to clean at least weekly. fyi, i do get shrimplets at the bottom of the canister when i clean it.
Oh thanks, yeah I was worried about the baby shrimps. I'll try without sponges first, hopefully no shrimps end up in the canister!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll be setting up an eheim 2213 this week with glass intake and glass lily pipe with skimmer. This will be the first time I have a canister and right now I have a tidal 35 modified with a sponge on the intake and in the skimmer area. Is it ok for the eheim filter if I put a sponge on the intake? If that's ok, what will it do to the skimmer?

This is what I’ve done for the skimmer :) it’s not the best looking but it works. Basically I used some leftover of a window net and stabilized it with some toothpicks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was actually trying to figure out something last night with my FZONE lily pipe skimmer intake from amazon. I too am running a 2213 and when I put a sponge inside the bottom intake section it decreased the flow too much and made my skimmer cavitate and pull air. I couldn't get the balance right with the foam in the intake. I ordered a different foam cover for the bottom and plan on messing with it again tonight to see if I can make it work.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I don't have a skimmer, but on the glass intake I do use a filter sponge. I'll often find shirmps feeding on the sponge.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I’ve done for the skimmer :) it’s not the best looking but it works. Basically I used some leftover of a window net and stabilized it with some toothpicks.
View attachment 1027237
That's a good idea! Did you also use a sponge on the intake?

I was actually trying to figure out something last night with my FZONE lily pipe skimmer intake from amazon. I too am running a 2213 and when I put a sponge inside the bottom intake section it decreased the flow too much and made my skimmer cavitate and pull air. I couldn't get the balance right with the foam in the intake. I ordered a different foam cover for the bottom and plan on messing with it again tonight to see if I can make it work.
That was my concern. Did you use a coarse sponge? Please keep me posted on your progress. TIA!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was my concern. Did you use a coarse sponge? Please keep me posted on your progress. TIA!

Yes it was a coarse piece of sponge that fit inside the intake. The foam cover I ordered and received today isn't as coarse. I was going to remove the adjustable plug on the bottom of the intake and slide the foam over and see if I can get it to work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be honest, I haven't had time with work being so crazy to really experiment with the foam and skimmer. Once my shrimp get to breeding size I'll have to figure something out. I've seen some of my juvenile shrimp on the intake and they weren't getting sucked in. I imagine baby shrimp would get sucked in though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.