The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How and probably most important WHEN does one clean their glass diffusors? I've read on numerous posts here that you can use a bleach solution but not at what strength to mix it.

I'm guessing that when they start to get clogged that the bubbles start to get larger and/or fewer? Just want to be prepared when the time comes.

Also do glass diffusors eventually wear out?

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'd only clean it when no fine bubbles are leaving it. Mine hasn't required it in well over a year (knocking on driftwood).

I'd avoid bleaching it - try some Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide to clean it and you won't have to worry nearly as much about rinsing it off as you would if you used bleach.

As for wearing out - I'd imagine that over time, the ceramics used in those discs will break down, but I've never read about it happening.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I clean mine about once a month maybe twice.

I use a bleach solution that is more heavy in bleach and think even 100% bleach is fine too as long as you soak in de-chlor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i jus switch between 2 diff diffusors..let one soak and stick in the spare. algae comes right off without any scrubbing

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! You guys are GRRRRREAT!

I asked because I just upped the bubble rate on my 90 and I noticed that I get some larger bubbles (along with more "mist" of course) than when I had the rate a bit slower. I guess this is normal but thought I'd ask. I didn't thnk my diffusor needed cleaning yet as it's only been running for two and a half weeks.

I must say that pressurized CO2 is the best thing that has ever happened to my tanks. I was using DIY for so long that I got so used to it fluctuating and having to grow the easier plants.

With my new setup I've had phenominal growth and PEARLING everyday.....all day, with every plant that I put in the tank!

NICE, very nice.

My universe is in order and I'm a happy happy person.:bounce:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts