The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to setup a pressurized CO2 system, so I'm trying to figure this all out before I do. Now I understand the basic setup if I want to hook it up to a canister filter, but where does the glass diffuser come in? The obvious yes, is at the end that goes into the tank, but I guess my question is....does it get attached to the output tubing of the reactor, where normally the spray bar would be?

How do you (pressurized CO2 people) use the glass diffusers?

:confused: and :help:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
co2 tank > regulator > solenoid (if you are using one) > co2 tubing > check valve > glass diffuser > mounted by a suction cut to the glass at the bottom of the tank > canister filter intake mounted like normal as well as output.

you could run the co2 diffuser under the strainer so it sucks it through the filter or have it at the output so it forces the bubbles back down and throughout the tank to dissolve.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhhhhhhhh.....so I can totally bypass (no need) for a reactor? What about a bubble counter? Is that necessary? Now pH probe/controller would be used to just turn off the CO2 when needed or no need for a pH controller and just have the CO2 shut off when the lights go out?

I wonder what is more efficient.... glass diffuser method or reactor method? Or is there much difference at all?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You've outlined all the available methods.

I use a glass diffusor under the outlet of my canister, with a solenoid hooked up to a timer. My friend uses a reactor with a pH monitor. Or you can do variations of the above. As to which is best, there are many schools of thought.

One generality is that if you don't like to see bubbles and equipment in the tank, go with a reactor. If you spend big $$ on ADA glassware, then by all means, display for all the world to see and set it by the outlet and mist it all over the tank.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2wheelsx2: Do you use a bubble counter to know how much CO2 you are putting into your tank? That is what bpm (bubbles per minute) is for correct?

Sorry if this all sounds retarded...I'm learning :) I like the solenoid hooked up to timer idea.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I've read Rex's guide. I just thought the bubble counter's function is to "help" measure the 20 - 30 ppm?? Maybe the question I need to ask is how do you know when you have reached the 20 - 30 ppm?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm over-thinking this. LOL I'm just trying to figure out all the components I need to set-up my CO2 system...like do I want to do the glass diffuser or go with a reactor? If I go with the glass diffuser, than I won't need the reactor, etc...

Thanks everyone for your help. :) Like I said...I'm learning, reading all the posts I can.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see! I just found where the bubble counter goes and then to the glass diffuser, etc. So much plumbing. LOL

I guess the only question I have now is how do you know when you reach the desired 20 -30 ppm?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sounds like you are going through a lot of the same mental discussions I went through a few years back. Ah, the memories :).

you can use charts to figure it out but alot of people say that the charts are wrong. pm hoppy since he made his own diy drop checker he might tell you how to make one heres a link to his thread on APC DIY Drop Checker - Aquatic Plant Central
I'm still one of those that is wrestling with determining the correct levels in my tank. I'll get to that DIY drop checke...some day. As a suggestion, the charts have worked well for quite a few folks. So, you might want to start off with using the charts to determine your PPM levels. Just remember not to take them as gospel, and should they not work well for you, then seek alternatives.

Another lesson or two I've learned over time in this hobby...
- you can't assume test kits are accurate
- you can't assume that what works for many others will work for you
- when you can't find the source of a problem in your own tank, go back and check your assumptions.

And on and on....welcome to the addiction!
Brian.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BSS: Thanks! :) It can seem overwhelming at times, as there are so many gadgets out there. I read members posts about manifolds, glass diffusers, reactors, etc....easy to get lost. LOL I figure once I get the equipment in my hands I'll have an easier time of understanding how it all works. I just don't want to kill my shrimp/plants/etc. :eek: Thank you again for the info. :)

fish_lover0591: Cool! I think I got the list of everything I'll need. I just hate it when you get everything ready in front of you and you realize that you are missing something. Then of course it will be something vital! LOL I looked over at Rex's diagram/pics of the CO2 setup and that really helped me see what was connected to what and such. I know when I get mine setup, I'm going to document and take pics of each step, so that any other members that have questions like I do, will have an example handy. I love pics, they are very helpful and make it easier to utilize written instructions. :smile:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you are planning on on using a controler you don't really need the bubble counter. because you are going to set the PH at your desired level. in general you can expect for 30ppm of CO2 to drop your PH by 1. So if you start out at 7.4 add co2 and you wind up with 6.4 PH.

How you introduce the CO2 can be many different ways.
you can use an inline reactor with the cannister and remove the need for additional hardware to be in the tank. OR you can go with the diffuser. As mentioned you would either want the diffuser below the intake of the cannister or under the return so that it can dispense the CO2 rich water throughout the tank before it hits the surface and outgasses.

There are other methods of diffusting CO2 but I see these as being the two easiest.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't use a bubble counter adn just watch the bubbles going through the inlet of the glass diffuser but after everything turns off(lights/co2 on timer) I check the co2ppm an pretty much go from there.

I also have one of those glass dropcheckers too and it helps give a rough guesstimation of where I'm at.

I personally like the look of the glassware in the tank over the reactor.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'd like to bypass using the reactor because I want to use an inline heater on my out-take tube. I'm really looking forward to getting pressurized CO2! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.