The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there water in it? If so, you are fine. Water holds heat (or cold) very well and will not heat/cool fast enough to cause any glass damage. If it is empty, I still think you are ok.....It isn't like you are going from 25 to 325. Your temperature variation is tiny.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit. People pour hot water into glass cups and then wash them with cold water all the time.
The issue with a tank is the silicone seams leaking from different expansion rates between the glass and silicone, more than glass cracking.

I think just bringing it inside and letting it sit for a few days before filling should be fine.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The issue with a tank is the silicone seams leaking from different expansion rates between the glass and silicone, more than glass cracking.

I think just bringing it inside and letting it sit for a few days before filling should be fine.
They should be at the same temperature with an hour, probably less.

Materials don't have expansion rates, they have coefficients of thermal expansion. If any leak was caused at the colder temps, the damage is already done, but I think the tank is fine.

Bring it in the house, and fill it up. Just my $.02. it's your house and tank. :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Materials don't have expansion rates, they have coefficients of thermal expansion.
OK, I'll bite :icon_smil- what's the difference?

(sincere question)

And I know I was always told with big tanks it was safer to let them sit in their new spot for a day or two before filling, to let the tank and seams re-settle... perhaps that's overly cautious?

·
Registered
499 Posts
OK, I'll bite :icon_smil- what's the difference?

(sincere question)
The difference is rate refers to how fast something happens and the coefficient of thermal expansion refers to the degree that something changes size with a change in temperature. What the :thumbsdow who corrected you was trying and failing to say is that it is not the two materials expanding/contracting at different rates that causes the problem but that the two materials expand/contract by different amounts.

However, in the realm of a forum about fishtanks, the only real difference is that it gives someone a chance to show off all of the big words that they know.:icon_roll

And I know I was always told with big tanks it was safer to let them sit in their new spot for a day or two before filling, to let the tank and seams re-settle... perhaps that's overly cautious?
Any damage to the seams would have occured when the tank was cooled and the glass and silicon contracted and pulled apart and any change in the adhesion of the silicon to the glass is not going to repair itself as the tank warms. I am a biologist not an engineer but from all of the physics I have studied letting the tank sit for several days is really not going to accomplish anything. Filling it will just let you know now rather than in two days whether or not you have leaks.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The difference is rate refers to how fast something happens and the coefficient of thermal expansion refers to the degree that something changes size with a change in temperature. What the :thumbsdow who corrected you was trying and failing to say is that it is not the two materials expanding/contracting at different rates that causes the problem but that the two materials expand/contract by different amounts.

However, in the realm of a forum about fishtanks, the only real difference is that it gives someone a chance to show off all of the big words that they know.:icon_roll
What? I didn't try and fail. I gave the correct advice. They're not big words, they're the correct words.

You can take your thumbs down and put it in your tank.

·
Registered
659 Posts
sorry to high jack this thread, but I find it interesting and basicly have the same question.
if I plan to go get a tank today the high for today is 68 degrees and it's a 30-45 min drive each way, and my house temp is 75 degrees I shouldn't have a problem with the silicon should I? just be slow with the water right, and don't go hot cold hot cold hot cold right, right?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
sorry to high jack this thread, but I find it interesting and basicly have the same question.
if I plan to go get a tank today the high for today is 68 degrees and it's a 30-45 min drive each way, and my house temp is 75 degrees I shouldn't have a problem with the silicon should I? just be slow with the water right, and don't go hot cold hot cold hot cold right, right?
You're fine. In terms of materials 10 degrees F is absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As a side-note, the All-Glass top I have on my 65G mysteriously cracked while I was at work (with nobody home all day). The heat is on 62 degrees, the tank is at 82 degrees and I got 156Watts of light on top of it. I'm wondering if the heat from the light was too hot too fast and cracked it due to a poorly tempered piece of glass. I contacted Aqueon hoping to get a replacement on this 1month old piece of glass, but of course got no response back.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I think if it was tempered you'd be picking out small pieces of glass from inside your tank.

Is you light sitting directly on top of the glass top?

I cracked the center brace on a 110 once with a 65W CF I was using to light a tank during some rearranging.

SteveU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.