The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for you all.

I'm looking at getting into some bee shrimp this year, however something has me perplexed.

When cleaning algae from my glass tanks I have the floating magnets. While it does a good job cleaning, it stirs up the mess on the bottom. No shrimps have been "harmed" from this, but I have very hardy neos and not the more sensitive shrimps.

How do you guys clean the algae from the front glass without causing a water currents across the bottom?

Or is this once again is this more myth than reality?

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
If you have an appropriate light source, you won't wind up with tons of algae on the glass (I realize many want algae, though). Though, I've never really had substrate be too disturbed with regular glass scrapers or magnet cleaners unless I'm not being careful.

What kind of magnet cleaner are you using? MagFloat? Try the Two Little Fishies version - may be easier to control and direct.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mr. Clean magic eraser(the original kind) there is absolutely nothing in it that will harm fish or inverts. Plus, you get to control how fast you pass the substrate and how close you get. Just a thought.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amberoze- I read about the magic eraser and am looking forward to trying it on my Neo tanks. Just not sure I want to risk it on higher priced bee tanks.

Jake- I'm using mag floats. What's different about the kind you mentioned? (I have 10g tanks for the most part)

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't need to go around tubes or hardscapes. Just the front glass.

However I can see how it would not cause as much stirring of water since it is thinner and doesn't provide as much "pushing" of the water out of the way when moving it.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
I keep thermometers stuck to the front glass of most of my tanks and it's easy to get under them without having to move things around.

Just moved the NanoMag around the substrate really quickly and there doesn't appear to be any real movement of gunk.

If you end up getting one, shop around. I've seen them priced at $13-$15 but bought all of mine for $6-$7 during different sales.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i normaly only clean the sides i look at and then use a hand scrubber so i can be really careful at the substrate. on my 5 gal hex i keep by the desk i only clean 2 of the sides the others are green as green can be. hehe/ i leave most of the glass/acrylic dirty cause the baby shrimp pick at it

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You could also go low tech and use my favorite glass cleaning tool (at least for the smaller tanks): filter floss wrapped around the end of a bamboo skewer.

Abrasive enough to scrub, a big wad takes care of the open areas, a small tight wad gets into corners, along substrate edges, around hard scape elements and behind plants without ripping them up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I stir up the sudtrate a little when cleaning the glass. I feel you get a cleaner tank over all I do my cleaning right before a water change.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Razor blades are lovely for removing stubborn algae. I tried to let gsa paint the back pane of one tank a year or two ago... When I got bored of that, it was less than a minute and a couple swipes of the blade to remove it entirely from the glass. The downside? Water vs metal, they need to be replaced regularly or you start risking scratching your glass up.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Razor blades are lovely for removing stubborn algae. I tried to let gsa paint the back pane of one tank a year or two ago... When I got bored of that, it was less than a minute and a couple swipes of the blade to remove it entirely from the glass. The downside? Water vs metal, they need to be replaced regularly or you start risking scratching your glass up.
NOTHING beats razor blades. I used them all the time to get the algae and coralline off my reef back when i had it. especially at the sand line.

its the best for any tank, but you do need to get your hand into the tank or use forceps with skill.

I use a mag float for my shrimp tank and clean the glass carefully. i try not to kick up any substrate. i know it can be deadly. I've lost crystals when i planted my tank and kicked up ooze from the deep...No amount of prime, BW Shield or Mosura BT-9 can undo the damage.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Get a couple nerite snails.
These guys eat the algae off the glass so once you introduce these guys the glass will be spotless. ;)
i order a few of those...i will put one into each tank and see...i have green spot algae on the front glass but all other side i don't care...

i just need the front free so i can see them... I do love algae..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.