The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of a water change and the inside of my tank glass above the water line is filthy. I just scoured it with a mag-float and thought it was clean :(

What have you found to be the best way to clean glass during a water change? I've tried an algae scrubber which doesn;t seem much better.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a ten gallon tank which had calcium residues and filthy stuff in the upper levels. What I did was I used "Lime Off" (you could get this at Your LFS) and a razor blade (scraper) for glass. Put some of the lime off on a towel, sponge, or paper towel and pat it on the areas of stains. Afterwards start scraping with the razor. Your LFS should also have the razors
for
sale.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I only use a razor blade now since getting sand caught between the Mag-float scratched the glass.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i use old hotel room cards (or credit cards) for both my glass and acrylic tanks. i've been tempted to try one of those Kent Proscrapers but haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet. i've been telling myself to get a 'real' scraper every year for I don't know how long.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
From least to most difficult to scrape off... paper towels work on soft residue. Then credit cards. Then razor blade / carpet cutters work well on the really tough stuff like calcium buildup.

You can buy a box of carpet cutters from Home Depot for fairly cheap, about $10 for 100 razors. Just be careful not to reuse the blades as they tend to rust and dull quickly when wet and when scraping off hard material. They are very sharp so be careful of scratching your glass or yourself.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ditto what Snafu said....old hotel room key cards are great! Finally a useful souvenier!

For hard water deposits use single edged razor blades...once. Then throw them out. I got a bad of 25 from ACE for a couple of bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.