The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 120g is basically a gigantic jungle mess. The plants are growing faster then I can give/throw them away, and the tank itself is very healthy. I am up to 20 harlequin rasboras, my BF insisted upon glowlights, so there's 10 of them, and he recently picked up 7 glass cats.

He's been eyeing them for a while, so I gave in. They are very healthy, and seem relatively comfortable, but I'm not sure what they like to eat?

I've seen 4 of them pick on the flakes, but the rasboras and glowlights are so voracious, it seems like no matter how much food I put in the tank, the glass cats never get any. Plus they don't seem too interested.

Shrimp pellets? Algae wafers? I do feed bloodworms 2x a week, which they seem to like, but is there anything else they like? I have brine (both baby live and frozen), mysis (frozen), and spirulina frozen brine shrimp. I don't mind feeding frozen as I do with the SW, but if I can find a non-frozen food that they like, I'd prefer that vs doing frozen daily.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
So my 120g is basically a gigantic jungle mess. The plants are growing faster then I can give/throw them away, and the tank itself is very healthy. I am up to 20 harlequin rasboras, my BF insisted upon glowlights, so there's 10 of them, and he recently picked up 7 glass cats.

He's been eyeing them for a while, so I gave in. They are very healthy, and seem relatively comfortable, but I'm not sure what they like to eat?

I've seen 4 of them pick on the flakes, but the rasboras and glowlights are so voracious, it seems like no matter how much food I put in the tank, the glass cats never get any. Plus they don't seem too interested.

Shrimp pellets? Algae wafers? I do feed bloodworms 2x a week, which they seem to like, but is there anything else they like? I have brine (both baby live and frozen), mysis (frozen), and spirulina frozen brine shrimp. I don't mind feeding frozen as I do with the SW, but if I can find a non-frozen food that they like, I'd prefer that vs doing frozen daily.

Might try some Hikari sinking wafer's.
They are small, and look like little algae wafer's.(Petco)
Contain silk worm's,spirulina,and some other stuff I forget.
I mix these with New life spectrum pellet's small.or medium, and keep it in small Tupperware tub in fridge.
I feed cory's,loaches.pleco's,at night after tank is dark/black.
They do not need to see to find the food, and it makes it harder for the shoaling fish to try and grab it before it get's to the bottom.
Flake food's I feed the other fish never make it to the bottom (well,a little maybe) and the bottom feeder's would starve waiting for the occasional flake that was missed.
Easier and healthier for the fishes(water chemistry) if I don't add too much food at once, trying to offer enough for all the fishes so I feed the shoaling fishes once every other day, and bottom feeder's in between at night as described.
Not too much for either.
Your food's sound fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My glass cats are definitely not bottom feeders. They eat primarily flake food. They eat occasional frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms with everybody else. They dont require any special food treatment!

Mine barely ate for the first few days after adding them to the tank, but no problems now!

·
Registered
223 Posts
They are nocturnal, they will eat any floating or slowly sinking food. They will not eat off the bottom, feed them after light's off. They will swim all over the tank when it gets dark. I have kept them for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
963 Posts

This article talks about the difficulty of feeding them when first introduced to a tank and their need for frozen or live foods.

Glass Catfish

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Bit old, but I was reading a piece on tiger barb farming last night, and in 1994 the US imported more glassfish than tiger barbs, it was literally the item above the barbs on the list.

Its getting warmer your side soon, get a fine net and catch some flying bugs above your lawn in the evening and chuck that on the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.