The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how ridiculous this sounds... but when I have my hands in the tank, my two glass catfish will find a plant and lay in it. They'll lay completely on their side. About a minute after I'm done they're back swimming next to each other. I've read people saying that is likely an issue with their swim bladder... but I've been watching them a lot since I got them (recent) and they only do it when I've got my hands in the tank.

Is this a thing?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Interesting odd behavior! Reminds me of clown loaches lol. Have a video of them playing dead?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Catfish subscribe to the "I'm not here YOU CAN'T SEE ME" school of avoiding predators. You may have a strain that's just especially prone to that?
You'll definitely want more. They're shoaling fish, and they feel most comfortable in groups of at least 5.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It is funny. I am dealing with 4 of my 6 angelicus loaches that lay upsidown on the bottom of the tank during the day. The first, second, and third time I panicked really hard... now I know they're just #%@ing with me.

Bump: It is funny. I am dealing with 4 of my 6 angelicus loaches that lay upsidown on the bottom of the tank during the day. The first, second, and third time I panicked really hard... now I know they're just #%@ing with me.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Lol, yeah those Botia species will lay all kinds of crazy ways (and places!) making you think they are dead.

I have never seen glass catfish lay on their side as described, but they would hide behind plants (hovering upright).
But if it was a swim bladder issue, they would either be floating at the water surface or sitting on the substrate, because they aren't able to control their buoyancy, and/or they'd have a hard time swimming normally, fighting to hover midwater or go straight in the direction they want to go in.
Doesn't sound like you are experiencing this so I doubt it's a swim bladder issue, and yours are probably fine and just hide/blend-in, in this odd fashion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.