The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got three good sized glass cats alone in a 5gal. What kind of tank mates might encourage them to not be as timid?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could be wrong, but 3 glass cats might be too big for a 5g already. I remember reading somewhere that they do like a more well planted tank though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 2 glass cats in a 30G. Always cruising the top. They get along great with the angels and tetras that come to the top at feeding time. I have had them for 3+ years. Hardy fish.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
1. Glass catfish are schooling fish. They should be kept in groups.
2. 5 gallons is only big enough for a betta or similar sized, non-schooling fish.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Get at least a 20 gallon for glass cats. Also, they do best in groups of at least six and peaceful dither fish such as harlequin rasboras will give them the confidence to swim around the tank.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sorry pal but Glass cats in a 5, no way, a 20 gal atleast, but on the bright side there are many other types of easy to find Nano fish that can do great in a 5gal, Chili rasboras and Bettas are ecspecially good in smaller tanks. Having kept 5 gallons i can say youd be amazed with all the different possibilities of things you can do with it, ive done Shrimp, CPD's, Bettas (only 1), Pygmy Corys, Guppies, etc...

If you really want to keep the glass cats i do advise a tank upgrade, a 20 or larger will suffice

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kitties are now in my larger tank among tetras and other peaceful fish. Their behavior has improved significantly: they explore, aren't stuck hovering in one place near the bottom, and inhabit all levels of the tank. I AM RELIEVED.

Thanks for all your advice. I <3 this community.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts