The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some strange reason a piece of my glass canopy broke off.
I heard some strange noice but didn't see anything wrong, but later I looked at the tanks and a piece of glass was laying on the bottom.
I still should the receipt but I'm puzzled as to why it broke, there was nothing on it except the lightstrip but that would not have caused a piece to break like it did.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
That's a weird break.

A few years ago I had a coralife 2x18W T5NO strip on my 20g long. The heat from the fixture along with the cold tank water cracked the glass cover. The break does not look like anything like what you have, though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
that really sucks, idk how that could have happened but the weakest point of a pane of glass is being hitting from the edge inwards, and i wouldnt be calling that a canopy, more of a lid than anything

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that really sucks, idk how that could have happened but the weakest point of a pane of glass is being hitting from the edge inwards, and i wouldnt be calling that a canopy, more of a lid than anything
I always see them referred as canopies at almost every petshop website I see them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a weird break.

A few years ago I had a coralife 2x18W T5NO strip on my 20g long. The heat from the fixture along with the cold tank water cracked the glass cover. The break does not look like anything like what you have, though.
yeah it's really weird, I hope this doesn't cause a bigger problem.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've had 2 of them break in the last year when the 150 was up and running no one around sitting at the table and just here a little ping an then glass in the bottom.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My uncle thinks it might be from the filter vibration that caused it to crack.

I contacted the place I got it from and they're sending me a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts