The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I know you're new here, but don't post the same thread in multiple forums, please.

Also, you could've asked the filter/no filter question in the same thread too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think for a low tech setup, having a top would keep maintenance down. If you have to top up a lot, then you might build up too much dissolved solids.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have to top up a lot, and put on a glass top, you don't wind up with as many dissolved solids. My reptile cages get lime scale built up on them so thick that you can't even see through it. I scrape it off with a razor every once in a while, and even with that, I had to break down my cages at least once a year & scrub it out with vinegar & baking soda, tile or toilet bowl cleaner. That's because the water lands on it and it evaporates.

When I had my 55 paludarium set up only about half full, I rarely had any lime scale build up. Same water.. And water condensed on the glass. Difference was that it condensed, but didn't evaporate, because there was nowhere for it to go, due to the covered top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My glass top keeps the CATS out of the water...
JOhn ><> :fish:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I go for no glass top, where possible. It lets the heat out, and the light in. Glass is NOT clear. You loose quite a bit of light from absorption and reflection. I believe it can be as much as 20%.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a top because of jumping fish and houdini Amano Shrimp. The Amanos will climb out, and some of my more hyperactive fish tend to jump...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have glass tops on all my aquariums .... but they still get gunky and I am forever cleaning them ... As mentioned by Wicked I am certain I am losing light through them.

No top adds the challenge of where to put the light. Can be solved easily but I have some stacked tanks with little headroom. That being said I think open tops with plants growing out is a great look, especially with pendants.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just be aware of your aquatic inhabitants. Some like to jump, some like to crawl.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Prefer tops for reasons already stated, also:

my tanks are in the basement, and lots of nasty things floating around int he air I suspect. So I put a top on to stop bugs & chemicals & sawdust etc. out of the tank. Also have jumping fish, evaporation issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In all honesty, I would love to go topless, but for the reasons I stated before, and the dust issue brought up, I kind of need to keep them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't currently use glass tops but I do have a wooden canopy over my tank. One problem I have is a mildew/mold substance growing on the inside wood of my canopy. I don't think I'm getting enough ventilation but I believe a glass top would help cut down on the moisture and thus the mold in the canopy.

Let me say this as well though... I have witnessed fluffy mold substances growing on the underside of glass tops as well. Even in a retail location where the front panel was lifted repeatedly every day in order to sell the tanks inhabitants, the mold was still growing. A quick wipe down with some water and detergent fixed the problem but it always came back. Again, I think it's a high moisture + no air flow = mold.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't currently use glass tops but I do have a wooden canopy over my tank. One problem I have is a mildew/mold substance growing on the inside wood of my canopy. I don't think I'm getting enough ventilation but I believe a glass top would help cut down on the moisture and thus the mold in the canopy.

Let me say this as well though... I have witnessed fluffy mold substances growing on the underside of glass tops as well. Even in a retail location where the front panel was lifted repeatedly every day in order to sell the tanks inhabitants, the mold was still growing. A quick wipe down with some water and detergent fixed the problem but it always came back. Again, I think it's a high moisture + no air flow = mold.
I live in North GA with a very similar setup to yours. It is interesting to me as I have NEVER seen any mold as you described on my wood canopy. I have an open top and the only air flow I have is from the small fan in my coralife fixture. Sounds like you just have mold issues in NC.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts