The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what kind of experiences most of you have had with either option. I like the fact that the canopy keeps the evaporation down and the fish from jumping out, but I imagine that the glass blocks some light from entering the tank. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
they seem to do better without the glass but the water evaporates pretty quickly in the winter because of the low humidity. I took the middle road. It's half covered.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Light reflection from most glasses at normal incidence (head on, not at an angle) is less than 3%, so I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. However, my canopy makes evaporation negligible; without it, I lose 1/4"-1/2" of water each day.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Mine is just covered with glass tops and its growing great and water evap isn't bad. I had open top on my 20g for a while and I was topping it every couple days.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I have fitted glass canopies, but prefer not to use them.
during the summer a glass canopy can raise your water temperature by 5°F
in the winter a lot of water evaporates, but I don't mind topping the tank off.
as for jumpers; I got rid of my Hatchets long ago just so I could go topless.
topless is also nicer if you have floaters or stems that flower above water.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have fitted glass canopies, but prefer not to use them.
during the summer a glass canopy can raise your water temperature by 5°F
in the winter a lot of water evaporates, but I don't mind topping the tank off.
as for jumpers; I got rid of my Hatchets long ago just so I could go topless.
topless is also nicer if you have floaters or stems that flower above water.
After having my 75 gallon topless for 2 years, I'm getting covers so that I can have Hatchets. Hopefully I don't regret it...

I am looking into making covers out of netting rather than glass or acrylic, I saw it done on a reef forum. Then you don't have heat issues, more light may/may not get through depending on the size of the mesh.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
making covers out of netting rather than glass.
that's a great idea. I imagine some sort of nylon mosquito netting would work best at letting light through while containing any jumpers.
please let us know what you come up with. :proud:
beware getting hatchets as they can be hard to acclimate, and may go weeks without food before they get used to your tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't use glass tops anymore because they are simply a pain in the butt. But if you've got jumping fish it goes without saying. I read somewhere (I looked but I can't seem to find it right now) that a glass top removes 8% of light penetration into a tank, and higher once they start to scum up. For deeper tanks growing carpets (Glosso, HC etc) this can cause a problem.

I believe that every tank is different though, and that personal experience through trial and error determines what works for each individual tank.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Keeping moisture out of my canopies, and away from electric stuff, is my main reason for using glass covers.

Second would be the desire to keep my walls dry. With open tanks, in Winter moisture will collect on cold walls. Not good for your home.

Third, evaporation and related reduction of the water level is prevented by using covers.

And finally, it keeps fish inside the tank. Don't like them on the carpet. :red_mouth

I am working on a hood that has the cover glass (acrylic, actually) attached. That might take some of the "pain in the back" factor away. Too early to tell though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
par absortion is another matter, and that's what matters.
I agree. The glass shield on HQI metal hallides does abosorb a significant amount of light. Not sure if glasstop or acrylic covers are similar to this or not. I am to lazy to keep the glass tops clean so to prevent jumpers I just use a canopy. Havent had any problems with moisture in the electrics but I do have dual fans and keep it ventilated. Right now I am loosing about an inch of water a week, no problem since I wc every week anyhow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts