The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with tanks from "Glass Cages"??? Thinking about a future project and I'd like to go rimless. Their tanks seem pretty reasonable and you can customize them to suit your specific needs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are a few threads out there about glass cages. I believe the general consensus is positive and that they are of a moderate build quality. I personally have no experience with them.

Someone mentioned that if you do order from them, see if they have trucking routes through or close to your home city. Apparently, if this is the case you can greatly reduce shipping costs if you are patient, by waiting until they stop through your town so that they can deliver your new tank one of their trucks rather than shipping it.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I'd get a local custom tank vs them any time.
But I have that option in LA, you may not.

Cost vs the ugly edges, the glass tanks are well made, should last forever.
But they are not pretty like say...and ADA or nice clean beveled edge no over glue edges.

I'm disappointed with the edge cuts on my 180.

I'll slowly replace the tanks one by one with nice ADa like stands(see Jon's ADA stand thread, he makes them in LA area, and Lemar makes nice rimless glass tanks.

If you have a rim tank, then it does not matter much.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would say that the consensus seems to be negative rather than positive. Although dissatisfied customers are usually louder than satisfied ones. That being said, here is thread to see what people are saying:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/us-store-reviews/53997-glass-cages-experiences-3.html

also, this one is highly entertaining if you read it all:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126515
I tend to disagree. I have purchased three tanks from them over the years. All 3 tanks are still up and running today. I have pics of some of them. THey are set up as reef tanks, not fresh. I had a Perfecto 220 explode all over my floor... Perfecto stood by their warranty....but what a PITA....

I had an Oceanic 240g leak...replaced it with a custom Glass Cages 240 for $900 shipped to my door (I picked it up at the trucking company down the road)... That 240g is still set up as a full blown reef today, in a church in Fort Wayne, IN.

All tanks have issues... Just depends on how the manufacturer reacts to you, the customer.

If I lived closer to a big city, I would have a Glass Cages tank in my house without a doubt. But becuase I live way "up north", getting it here is a problem.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm currently running a GC rimmed tank. The all the corner/edges are rounded. Its nicely built although the gluing was a bit sloppy but who cares once it covered with gravel. I heard mixed reviews about them so i guess it a luck of the draw.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks....sounds like a coin toss!! LOL...In twenty years I've never had a tank leak or fail..all rimmed of course, but perhaps I've been luckier than some and I do replace them if I see the silicone beginning to come loose after a few years. Think I'll ask around locally and see what I can find. I'm (sort of) in the Baltimore/DC area, so I'd think somebody around here probably does good custom work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Custom work is more expensive than Glass Cages. Of course there are better tanks. But you pay!! Glass Cages is a cheap alternative. Built like a tank though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Custom work is more expensive than Glass Cages. Of course there are better tanks. But you pay!! Glass Cages is a cheap alternative. Built like a tank though.
And based on the thread linked in the original post, and the replies... sometimes built like a tank with the front/back/side panel popped off... :icon_eek:

·
Registered
743 Posts
I tend to disagree. I have purchased three tanks from them over the years. All 3 tanks are still up and running today. I have pics of some of them. THey are set up as reef tanks, not fresh. I had a Perfecto 220 explode all over my floor... Perfecto stood by their warranty....but what a PITA....

I had an Oceanic 240g leak...replaced it with a custom Glass Cages 240 for $900 shipped to my door (I picked it up at the trucking company down the road)... That 240g is still set up as a full blown reef today, in a church in Fort Wayne, IN.

All tanks have issues... Just depends on how the manufacturer reacts to you, the customer.

If I lived closer to a big city, I would have a Glass Cages tank in my house without a doubt. But becuase I live way "up north", getting it here is a problem.
respect your reply ..!!! 100% agree with u
sounds like a coin toss!!
exactly ...every single tank factory got a mix review.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
thats something i did not know .. their glass tank is not that bad like what everyone said online but who want to order acrylic from them? the name is glass cage not acrylic cage.!
so wal-mart only sells good walls? :flick:

Just kidding, but their customer service (or the complete lack thereof) keeps me away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.