The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 16 gallon bow-front that I brought back to life after years of dust. It is in my signature. When setting it up a few months ago, I accidentally broke the rectangular part of of the glass lid. I've only hit two of my local stores looking for a replacement, but no luck yet, or online. I tried a 10 gallon lid, but it was just a bit wide to fit.

Does anyone have a rectangular piece of glass that is 19 1/8 inches by 5-7 inches?

My plan is to get two Fluval Plant 3.0 Nanos and lay them on the glass, since I cannot use the mounts on a rimmed tank. I researched all sorts of other lights, but I just want to keep going with what is working for my other tanks. I just have to get creative on how to use them. I really wish Fluval had a wide 17-24 inch model.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can easily custom cut a rectangle of glass to replace the piece you broke...you only need a few inexpensive tools and can buy a sheet of glass at almost any big box store or hardware store. This would be much cheaper than buying and shipping a custom piece. There are lots of great videos on cutting glass on youtube. I had to do this when I couldn't find a glass cover for my 2.5 g, and it really is very easy!

Reactions: Streetwise

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Lots of places will custom cut glass for you and edge grind them smooth.

When you set nano on glass make sure you add some feet etc so there is some air gap underneath for proper ventilation of heat.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of places will custom cut glass for you and edge grind them smooth.

When you set nano on glass make sure you add some feet etc so there is some air gap underneath for proper ventilation of heat.
Yes for feet! Thanks. I did research local glass, but I didn't know what to expect. I have sailing friends who might have glass tools.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got a piece cut at Aubachon Hardware, put feet on a couple of new Fluval Plant Nanos I bough today, and it looks great! I'll post something in my 16G Bow journal tonight. I'm up to seven of those lights now!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Glad you found a piece to fit! I was going to suggest Lowes or Ace Hardware. Both cut glass with a purchase. You just have to sand the edges and I would put dabs of silicone or silicone feet to keep it planted on the edges.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They couldn't smooth the edges for me, but suggested emory cloth. After I washed it without cutting myself, I just decided to let it be. I cleaned the tank filter foam without cutting myself, so I think it is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.