The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am really glad that I cleaned my flourite..
First pic is before second is after and the third is the first rinse. The first rinse looked like mud going down my driveway.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I used some lumber scraps and screen and made a large square that I use for any rinsing I need to do. The mud goes right into the yard, no mess to clean.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yup, my flourite red was exactly the same way.

Strangely, flourite black has proven extremely easy to rinse for me so far...

·
Registered
316 Posts
It really does make a big mess. I tried cleaning mine once in a pale and after about 15 cycles it still made the tank cloudy when it was put in.

I like the wood frame with screen idea cah925 offered. I think I'll try that. Currently I'm using 6x10 mesh media bags which is a real pain to clean 15+ pounds of substrate.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it pretty clean but I know that it will still be cloudy. I am setting up my first planted tank tomorrow. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yup, my flourite red was exactly the same way.

Strangely, flourite black has proven extremely easy to rinse for me so far...
I second that, it was easy when I rinsed it last night. But what i did was wash it a big bowl at a time, so that it would be easier, but it didnt take long to finish.. It took me longer to wash sand than this lol!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here was my process. Took about 3 hours to get it clean enough to put in my tank. Rinsed it about 50x in the bucket and 50x in the bathtub. I wish I had a mesh to just dump it on and rinse as mentioned above.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
OMG I would never rinse Flourite in my bathtub- I know it would lock up the drain for the next century! lol

I use 3gal buckets and the garden hose turned up high. I fill the buckets about 1/2 full with Flourite and use the water pressure to keep it all really agitated, and the smallest particles flow over the edge. I just regulate the water pressure enough to keep the big stuff from going, too.

Occasionally I tip the bucket and pour off the water to start all over. I do this until the water runoff comes clear. Only takes a few minutes per bucket this way.

Then I let it DRY before adding it to the tank. IME this step can make a really big difference. I spread all mine out on an old bedsheet in the sun on the driveway.

I've also found that the Flourite black and black sand did not take nearly as much work as the regular and red versions. I've never used the "dark" version to date, so can't say about that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts