The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was considering a few CO2 Regulators with a Solenoid. The reason is because I work and won't be able to be home most of the time. I would be putting the co2 system on a timer. After doing some research I was thinking about a few CO2 regulators.

1. GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2
2. Aquatek mini CO2 Regulator
3. ADA Archaea CO2 Regulator (Pro) Single Gauge
4. GLA Paintball CO2 Regulator

These different regulators varies in prices from $80-$200. I don't have a major issue in buying the $200 regulator. I understand that in this hobby you get what you pay for and which is like all the other hobbies. I would like to know which one I should pick if I don't want to have any issues down the road. Also I would like to have a system where I know its not constructed cheap and that I would need to buy a new system in 2 years. Some advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi all,
I was considering a few CO2 Regulators with a Solenoid. The reason is because I work and won't be able to be home most of the time. I would be putting the co2 system on a timer. After doing some research I was thinking about a few CO2 regulators.

1. GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2
2. Aquatek mini CO2 Regulator
3. ADA Archaea CO2 Regulator (Pro) Single Gauge
4. GLA Paintball CO2 Regulator

These different regulators varies in prices from $80-$200. I don't have a major issue in buying the $200 regulator. I understand that in this hobby you get what you pay for and which is like all the other hobbies. I would like to know which one I should pick if I don't want to have any issues down the road. Also I would like to have a system where I know its not constructed cheap and that I would need to buy a new system in 2 years. Some advise would be appreciated.
If you don`t mind dropping 200.00 on a regulator & you want quality parts, I would suggest researching here & other forums such as Aquatic Plant Central, a bit of handy work on your part & you can have yourself a good regulator for a tad over your 200.00.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I can't tell you a brand, but ask Matheson, he knows the best regulator. Also ask his friend Parker HR, he has the best needle valve around. They both like solenoids with the Same Main Colours, that is, stainless steel silver.

:bounce:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just bought the gla paintball regulator with bubble counter and couldn't be happier. I'm not really a DIY kind of person though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would suggest building your own also. Plenty of info and threads on the subject and tons of help to get your through it. You can still go paintball with an adapter.

If you have to buy one i would get something from GLA. They will at least stand behind their product to some extent.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wouldn't buy aquatek product due to lack of customer service. I have their mini regulator, it works fine, but couldn't get a hold of them when I tried to, many times.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would get a regular regulator and add the paintball adapter. Gives you the option to upgrade larger co2 tanks if you ever upgrade or find that paintball doesn't last long enough. I know in my area it was a pain to get refills, Dick's always claimed their machine was out of order every time I needed a refill so I sold my aquatek mini.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would get a regular regulator and add the paintball adapter. Gives you the option to upgrade larger co2 tanks if you ever upgrade or find that paintball doesn't last long enough. I know in my area it was a pain to get refills, Dick's always claimed their machine was out of order every time I needed a refill so I sold my aquatek mini.
For that very reason I suggested assembling his own, in my opinion paint ball tanks are a waste of money - figure out the cost of a paint ball tank & fillup + length of service on 1 paintball tank, then do the math on a 2.5 lb co2 tank + fill up & duration of service on 1 fill up, that said it`s alwas better to go with the largest co2 bottle you can accommodate since the incremental cost between the various ( 2.5, 5, 10, 15 20 lbs) are only a few dollars between each increment.
There is brand new Linde 2 stage regulators available now for 119.99, new Burkerts for 45.00, new hoke metering valves for 30.00, & if you don`t care about the looks of brass & bling, fittings from home depot or lowes to assemble this is at best 15.00 oh you need a roll of thread tape for 50 cents LOL,+ you have fun & pride of building your own quality regulator that will command a better resale value and I might add the ability to use it on larger tanks if your addiction grows:wink:
You can also drop that cost by 70.00 if he went with a brand ne Linde single stage.
Just my Loonie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts