The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ihad my gla inline diffuser for almost a month or so. but irecently noticed that is blowing out larger bubbles than normal. not excessively big but ican hear the pop when they come out of the spray bar.

irecently refilled my co2 tank and added a new bubble counter and check valves.

could that be the issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine does the same when it's dirty. I used to take it out and clean it, but now just let it be.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could be dirty? my tubing is a lil dirty lol how often should iclean the diffuser and how?

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
it could be dirty? my tubing is a lil dirty lol how often should iclean the diffuser and how?
For the diffuser, you should never clean it mechanically as it could damage the disc.

Instead, a simple bleach bath (I use straight bleach, which is 5% sodium hypochlorite) for about 10-15 minutes, followed by a rinse and another bath in some dechlorinator will work very well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bleach as in bleach that we would use to wash clothes right? or the bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite)?

·
Registered
327 Posts
bleach as in bleach that we would use to wash clothes right? or the bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite)?
Regular old Pure clorox does the trick rather nicely, just make sure (at least I do) to soak it for a few water baths in straight water (fully submerged) afterwards to let as much of it soak out as possible

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Bleach works awesome for me. Soak it about 15min, rinse really good, dip it in some water with dechlor and re-install.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is that normal tho for it needing to be cleaned already after only using it for under a month?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I clean mine with straight bleach even though they tell you not to do it. I pour a bit of straight bleach into a solo cup, drop the diffuser in there (I do not submerge the tip where the co2 airline attaches), and I just let it sit for 10 minutes maybe. I then rinse it off with regular tap water and back on it goes. The bubbles are like a fog mist after the cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Yes, the bleach that you use to wash clothes. Clorox, Javex, the brand doesn't matter. I use no-name brand stuff, and it works just as well. Just make sure that it's 5% sodium hypochlorite (check the label); there are sometimes stronger ones too, and those would work fine.

is that normal tho for it needing to be cleaned already after only using it for under a month?
A month seems about right; some people leave it longer. It depends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts