The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum. I have been recently browsing around the pressurized co2 system side of the hobby. I think I am ready to take the step up from the DIY setup. So I have a few questions to ask.

First off, this will be going on a 20 gallon tank.

1) Can I have the co2 and lights kick on at the same time? Or should the co2 kick on an hour or so before the lights and turn off an hour or so before the lights? Does it really matter?

2) I have had my eye's on the GLA primo co2 setup. Is there any downsides to this setup? Any parts that may need to be upgraded due to faultiness?

3) What diffuser would you recommend to get with it? I am hoping to trade in the timer that comes with it for a diffuser. Since I have plenty of timers laying around already.

4) If anyone owns this setup, please share your experiences with it and over all opinions.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
1) Can I have the co2 and lights kick on at the same time? Or should the co2 kick on an hour or so before the lights and turn off an hour or so before the lights? Does it really matter?
Most people like to have the CO2 come on about an hour or so before the lights and have it turn off an hour or so before the lights. This is so that there is a sufficient level of CO2 in the water before the lights come on, so that plants can immediately start photosynthesizing.

2) I have had my eye's on the GLA primo co2 setup. Is there any downsides to this setup? Any parts that may need to be upgraded due to faultiness?
I don't see any downsides. I felt I could learn more by building my own regulator setup, which is why I chose not to purchase a pre-built regulator. There are no parts that will need to be upgraded, as Orlando builds the regulators with quality parts.

3) What diffuser would you recommend to get with it? I am hoping to trade in the timer that comes with it for a diffuser. Since I have plenty of timers laying around already.
Talk to Orlando regarding the trade. For the diffuser itself, I think any of them will do, as long as they state their "recommended tank sizes".

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Orlando makes good regulators. I personally don't own any as I built my own also but my friend bought a few from him and they look sooo nice compared to my poorman's diy! I did learn how the whole thing works though! In the end it cost about the same as buying one from Orlando.

I'd set it to start co2 30-45min before lighting. This lets the diffuser or whatever your using to build up too. I turned it off an hour before lighting also.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks for the responses. I may try to see if I can get discounts on regulators/tanks being as I am a current welding student and a member of the AWS (American welding society). I know I can get discounts by showing my student ID, but not sure if its only on certain items.

So it looks like I will need that timer after all if I need to offset the times of lights and co2. Forgot I put my last timer on my 5 gal. I was hoping I could use the remaining daytime plug on my coralife power center http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+11379&pcatid=11379. Oh well no biggie. Got to pay to play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts