The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a GLA atomic paintball. Why that one? It is small and compact, a paintball tank will fit under my stand and a place right nearby fills them.

Other thoughts? atomic paintball seems (to my newbie, first glance look) to have a safety factor built in - If I read right paintball tanks have a built in 600 PSI first stage and the atomic diffusers won't work under 30 PSI, does this give a dual-stage like protection from end of tank dump?

Other suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's probably a decent regulator. I always try to tell people that if they want to get a PB tank, then get an adapter and use a standard regulator. It will work the same and in many cases cost the same. But...if you ever up-size your tank it is possible that a PB sized CO2 tank may not be suitable and then you are left shopping again.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
They should work well. No dual stage like protection. pressure out of a paintball tank is 800 psi and i think the pb regulator is present to ~40 psi.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a V3. They do work great. In fact there is dual stage like protection. These atomic regulators have no EOTD.
GLA claims that about a few of their single stage regulators which is false. If they claim it here also I would be skeptical and not rely on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
GLA claims that about a few of their single stage regulators which is false. If they claim it here also I would be skeptical and not rely on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i agree, i dont understand how you can have "dual stage protection" without having a second stage.... can a flat be a two story house? Albeit the regulator might not have EOTD problems but thats something different. Many people ise single stage regulators without EOTD's but that doesnt mean theyre like a dual stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The only thing that will help with the end of the gas supply and a pressure rise is the fact that these are pre-set at a relatively high psi, somewhere between 45-50 if I remember correctly. I'm my opinion, the needle valve sorta sucks.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing that will help with the end of the gas supply and a pressure rise is the fact that these are pre-set at a relatively high psi, somewhere between 45-50 if I remember correctly. I'm my opinion, the needle valve sorta sucks.

do you know of any better, really compact options? I'm open to suggestions, even have one of those Parker needle valves that were a big deal on e b a y last year (thought it might come in handy someday - and it was a shiny object :) )

mostly its the gauges hanging off in space that seem unweildy on a PB system

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
do you know of any better, really compact options? I'm open to suggestions, even have one of those Parker needle valves that were a big deal on e b a y last year (thought it might come in handy someday - and it was a shiny object :) )

mostly its the gauges hanging off in space that seem unweildy on a PB system
Not really. There aren't too many offerings. I probably make it out to sound like a worse product than it really is. I'm sure they function enough to be quite usable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts