The Planted Tank Forum banner

421 - 440 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Yeah but what I wanted was a picture of the plants and the lights all in one. Is that possible
Hah. Love the enthusiasm. The reveal will be October. The anticipation is the best part!

Bump: Finally knuckled under and automated the planted tank. Couldn't resist after automating everything on the reef tank. Added Auto dosing of fertilizer and auto top off water.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Thanks for the sneak peak! I didn't know you were entering this one, my bad.
Yep. No worries. Every time I setup these days I plan on entering a contest with it. I'm shooting for 2 a year but it may be too ambitious. We will see.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Which brand of stainless pipes are you using? Are you happy with them?
They were off Amazon. Cant remember the brand but they were from overseas. If you dig back through this journal a few pages you may be able to find a link.

I do like them from a maintenance standpoint except for the plastic holders. Wish it had suction cups on the side as the plastic is in the tank and makes it harder to clean around and I have to clean those brackets as well. Performance wise, I think my ADA Lily is much better as far as the outflow pattern the intake is about the same as my CO2 Art glass skimmer pipe.

All in all I am happy enough to stick with them. I would like to look at getting a stainless steel pipe set that had suction cups down the road. I know Seachem just released some.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They were off Amazon. Cant remember the brand but they were from overseas. If you dig back through this journal a few pages you may be able to find a link.

I do like them from a maintenance standpoint except for the plastic holders. Wish it had suction cups on the side as the plastic is in the tank and makes it harder to clean around and I have to clean those brackets as well. Performance wise, I think my ADA Lily is much better as far as the outflow pattern the intake is about the same as my CO2 Art glass skimmer pipe.

All in all I am happy enough to stick with them. I would like to look at getting a stainless steel pipe set that had suction cups down the road. I know Seachem just released some.
I just bought some off of Amazon recently and was a little disappointed in the finish around then bends. Not terrible, but could be better. I agree with you on the holders.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mot, your tank is awesome, thanks so much for posting it. I'm curious as to what camera and lens you are using to take these great pictures?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Mot, your tank is awesome, thanks so much for posting it. I'm curious as to what camera and lens you are using to take these great pictures?
Thanks. Glad to share.

I have a Canon 5d Mkiii with a 24-70mm Canon Lens. Photos are usually in the 24 to 30 mm range. Usually use off camera flash over the tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fantastic thread. I have a question about how you efficiently measure and dial in the CO2 levels in your tank. Do you have any tips on that subject? to share with us mere mortals?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Fantastic thread. I have a question about how you efficiently measure and dial in the CO2 levels in your tank. Do you have any tips on that subject? to share with us mere mortals?

I use a hanna alkalinity checker and a CO2 probe and calculate the approximate CO2 value. This gets me in the ballpark. From there i watch the plants and fine tune. I think that flow through the tank is as important as the CO2 concentration. Also I believe that CO2 mist is beneficial in addition to dissolved CO2.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use a hanna alkalinity checker and a CO2 probe and calculate the approximate CO2 value. This gets me in the ballpark. From there i watch the plants and fine tune. I think that flow through the tank is as important as the CO2 concentration. Also I believe that CO2 mist is beneficial in addition to dissolved CO2.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Could you elaborate on how you are using the alkalinity checker? I know how to use a KH/PH chart to figure out the amount of CO 2. Would this be a similar approach? Or if you know of any literature where i could learn more about this, that'd be awesome too.

Or am I missunderstanding this and the alkalinity checker measures KH (alkalinity=KH)??? That'd be amazing. I'm still a noob:p

·
Registered
528 Posts
Great thread, lots of good info and gorgeous tanks Mot, really very beautiful work. Id love to see you reef build! Good luck in the competitions!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Thanks. Could you elaborate on how you are using the alkalinity checker? I know how to use a KH/PH chart to figure out the amount of CO 2. Would this be a similar approach? Or if you know of any literature where i could learn more about this, that'd be awesome too.

Or am I missunderstanding this and the alkalinity checker measures KH (alkalinity=KH)??? That'd be amazing. I'm still a noob:p
Yes, you understand correctly. KH or dKH is the measurement reading of alkalinity.

421 - 440 of 471 Posts