The Planted Tank Forum banner

381 - 400 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
You mind sharing the equipment list, diffusers, canister filters, and etc. ? I also noticed in the back pic is that a Red Sea tank set-up?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
You mind sharing the equipment list, diffusers, canister filters, and etc. ? I also noticed in the back pic is that a Red Sea tank set-up?
Yes it is a RedSea Reefer 525XL that Im currently setting up. Its been 4 months in the making and is waiting for its first fish and coral hopefully by the end of the year.

My planted tank has the following:

2 ecoxotic eseries LEDs
1 Eheim 2217 with biomedia only
1 Hydro inline heater
1 CO2 inline atomizer
1 ADA CO2 diffuser
1 GLA CO2 regulator and 20lb bottle

Hope that helps.

Bump:
Also, are you on another forum for your reef tank? Wouldn't mind tracking your progress

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It is a reef tank and I do have a journal here

Bump: Also did a recent interview with the Aquascaping podcast. You can listen to it here. This is a great resource for those interested in aquascaping so have a listen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know I told you in person the other day at the ARC meeting... but mad props on the placing 62 my friend!!!

Truly amazing work!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes it is a RedSea Reefer 525XL that Im currently setting up. Its been 4 months in the making and is waiting for its first fish and coral hopefully by the end of the year.

My planted tank has the following:

2 ecoxotic eseries LEDs
1 Eheim 2217 with biomedia only
1 Hydro inline heater
1 CO2 inline atomizer
1 ADA CO2 diffuser
1 GLA CO2 regulator and 20lb bottle

Hope that helps.

Bump:

It is a reef tank and I do have a journal here

Bump: Also did a recent interview with the Aquascaping podcast. You can listen to it here. This is a great resource for those interested in aquascaping so have a listen.
Thank you for sharing, wow only one Eheim 2217 that is running on that tank? Interesting..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Just upgraded my Eheim 2217 to a Fluval FX4. I changed filters in an attempt to reduce from needing two of them down to one. So far the flow is looking quite good but the tank isn't grown out yet. Also hoping to have to maintenance the filter less. I'm currently cleaning out the Eheim 2217 weekly. Hoping for every other week or every month with the Fluval. We will see.

Here is the what the surface now looks like. It previously was very little motion.

Bump:
Thank you for sharing, wow only one Eheim 2217 that is running on that tank? Interesting..
One Eheim will work when the tank is fairly open. For a contest scape I run 2 x Eheim 2217s plus powerheads where it needs more flow. I Just upgraded to Fluval Fx4 for increased flow and filtration.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Ive been looking for new LEDs and havent found anything I like yet. Decided to use my old Marineland Planted LED from the 90cm and strap it between the 2 ecoxotic 120s. PAR level was 25 to 30 and now is about 50 to 55 at the substrate. Color on it is off toward warm yellowish color in my opinion and not attractive. Plants wont care though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
New lights arrived. I chose the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 with the wifi controller. Here is why I picked them over all the others:

1. Inexpensive - I did not find any light on the market today that met my criteria and I know I will upgrade again.
2. Suspension Mountable - Using most of my existing hanging kit I was able to get these in place in about 10 minutes.
3. More than sufficient PAR. A big boost over what I had with the 2 Ecoxotic LED strips.
4. Controllable with timer and ramp up/down.

Bump:
I'd recommend the Vypr LED light by fluence bioengineering. How is the fx4 since you modded the output and input from 25mm to 17mm?
Never heard of Vypr LED. Will have to look them up and see what they are all about.

The FX4 is working great. The flow is significantly increased over the Eheim 2217 even with the reducers. CO2 in the tank is now visibly moving throughout with just the one pump. Good surface movement as well. I've only cleaned the filter once since I put it in. I rescaped the tank and haven't cleaned it yet. The Eheim would of clogged up and have been at a trickle by now. The FX4 is still moving the same amount of water.

Really pleased with this upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fluence use to be BML but they changed and turned into a horticulture lighting company. Their new lights are expensive but still cheaper than ADA lighting. I have one hung 2 feet over an ADA 120H and I have to turn it to 20% intensity. It's definitely a buy one light and use it forever kind of light.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great journal as always. Curious if you could post a full tank shot with the Fluval Fresh lights on? I have been considering replacing four T5's over my 90P with one of these fixtures and was wondering how they render colors? Also curios what your thoughts are on the functionality of the wifi control for the Fluval Fresh?

Thanx!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Great journal as always. Curious if you could post a full tank shot with the Fluval Fresh lights on? I have been considering replacing four T5's over my 90P with one of these fixtures and was wondering how they render colors? Also curios what your thoughts are on the functionality of the wifi control for the Fluval Fresh?

Thanx!
My aquascape is currently setup for my IAPLC entry so I wont be posting any pics of it. I can tell you that my meter shows the Kelvin at 6450 with everything turned up full. I would say that it is ok color rendering to my eye. Im sure the more expensive fixtures out there are better like the Kessil, ADA, LUPY, and a few others. But at the price I just couldn't pass it up. I'm getting nearly the same look as my ecoxotics but with 3 times the par.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Don't you get a ton of light spill with the Fluval's raised that far above the tank?
Thats a good question. I was thinking the same thing that I would need to lower them. Found that this hasnt been the case.

Even though they advertise a 120 degree angle Im seeing less light spill than my Ecoxotic LEDs. Im not sure why but much less light on the wall and floor. I actually had them lower to begin with but then raised them up to get even coverage at the surface in front and back of the tank.

381 - 400 of 471 Posts