The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up snagging a Lifegard 2.65gal tank (this one, as part of the Marine Depot liquidation) and it just arrived. I don't hate it, which is a surprise. Not a fan of the void on the bottom but I think this will be a solid shrimp tank. Opened it to make sure nothing was broken and then re-packed it, so don't have photos to share. Here's a stock image:

Couldn't say no at $28 when the tank is normally $70-$80 at most retailers.

Here's a diagram of the filter setup:

Pump squishes down inside the sponge. Needs some tweaking and shrimp-proofing but shouldn't be too complicated. Maybe a couple small bags of ceramic media and additional sponges.

Initially got this and some other small tanks to use as RAOKs (several Fluval Spec III setups - stay tuned) here on the forum. But like this particular system enough to keep on my desktop. Maybe as a Riccardia chamedryfolia forest of some sort. Or a single lava rock structure put together with epoxy putty and covered in it. Something that's kinda skinny but still looks like it's really deep. Have a spare 10lb CO2 cylinder that would last ages for that kind of scape.

If anyone has suggestions on what I should do with this tank, please chime in. Open to pretty much everything at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m pretty sure you know what your doing a lot better then I do, but wouldn’t you only be able to keep so many shrimp if you have a rock structure taking water space or is lava rock breathable or something (but definitely an awesome tank and a great deal u got)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I almost got one, wish i would of lol, but talked myself out of it cause I just wanted it for a nice sized chunk of lava rock lol. The rock is kind of football shaped, not as big, it would of fit, the idea was to stand it up and glue some buce to it. Maybe stock with some of the males that i should cull from the GFs blue dream colony. Thought it would of been cool to have a tank on my desk lol. Keep us posted on what ya do...

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could go for a small bonsai with some moss and that's it, or maybe a dutch style with stems and one crypt in the middle as a centerpiece, when it comes to stocking, I would put in some variety shrimp, like one of those "community package" sort of deals, and see how it works out.

That's my opinion and what I think would look cool, but I've never had a tank this small and have no experience on ultra-nano tanks, so sorry if I said something that could never work!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could go for a small bonsai with some moss and that's it, or maybe a dutch style with stems and one crypt in the middle as a centerpiece, when it comes to stocking, I would put in some variety shrimp, like one of those "community package" sort of deals, and see how it works out.

That's my opinion and what I think would look cool, but I've never had a tank this small and have no experience on ultra-nano tanks, so sorry if I said something that could never work!
a small bonsai with some kind bushy or weeping moss sounds cool...

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I should clarify on the lava rock front, as @Hoboscape420 brought up a good point. The tank is roughly 8in x 8in x 10in, so there's plenty of room for some rocks or rock work. But the lava rock structure would be a bunch of smaller 1-2in landscaping (black) lava rock from Home Depot. Put together with reef epoxy putty. The structure itself would probably be about an inch or so deep - just kind of tall and convex. That way there's not a ton of water displacement.

I keep thousands of shrimp in all kinds of tiny tanks and have for decades, so this isn't really a challenge for me. Not a humble brag - just clarifying for newcomers. If there's a shrimp in the hobby, I probably have it currently or have had it. Including some wild types that aren't part of the hobby or are threatened. But I'd probably keep some wild-type Neos in the tank.

Also have pretty much every substrate imaginable. Plenty of stuff to keep a sense of scale on point.

I rarely ask for input or ideas from others. Thought I'd give that a shot for once.

Thank you everyone for giving me suggestions. And who cares if they won't work as-is? They may still help give me ideas! So please keep them coming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wooooww imo that’s pretty damn near top tier if ya ask me, and just thought I’d say maybe if you haven’t yet, check out sw hermit crabs their so damn unique, and cheap!! I’ve not yet got the opportunity to keep em since I’d wanna know what the hell im doing with a sw tank anyways just a random suggestion 🙂

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check out sw hermit crabs
Have a bunch living in a giant tub where I have spare rock and sand from marine tanks I've broken down. Also some snails and a few shrimp. Mostly blue leg hermies but a couple other types. I have been planning to do a small setup for them since 2019 but it hasn't happened. Even though I've had nothing but free time on my hands.

There's an empty 12gal long and some other shallow frag tanks sitting in storage that would work. Need something with enough space to keep a ton of spare shells without it looking awful. Thinking no coral beyond whatever pops up in my existing stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Moss back wall, dark sandy substrate, a single light colored manzanita piece with glued moss, an Apisto house, and 1 Apisto or maybe a killifish?
Just seems like a showcase tank for 1 tiny super colorful inhabitant.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Almost picked one of those up, but stock ran out before I got back around to it. I really like the bonsai tree idea, maybe mix in some of the lava rock. Riccardia is cool, maybe some red downoi to accent. Throw in some high grade CRS, could be really cool.

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost picked one of those up, but stock ran out before I got back around to it.
I've ended up really liking this little tank. Now regret not snagging one of the larger ones when I had the chance.

Decided to go the pico reef route with inverts, as @Hoboscape420 suggested. Will also have a bunch of macroalgae. Only a few varieties of Zoanthid, I think, so they can take over the rock structure I put together. Thankfully, the tank is small enough that I can remove everything once a week and do a full water change if it's ever necessary.

But hermies! Tank can only handle a few of them but it'll be nice to have them on my desk.

Now to set up a different cube for freshwater shrimp...

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obligatory pics of your tiny reef when its set up plz
I'll start a journal for my little macroalgae tanks here on the forum for sure. While not technically plants, I think they'll still count. The only Mangroves I have are already too large for a tank like this but maybe I could order more...

Still waiting on delivery of one of the tanks, which has apparently gone MIA and the seller is non-responsive. Ordered UNS 5Ss from two different retailers to make sure I didn't have to go without a tank for my project. One delivered, one didn't. Bet I'll be filing a chargeback within a week for the one that's MIA. Real shame we disallow vendor reviews here.

Did a bunch of rock work today with some CaribSea LifeRock I ordered. It's nice and purple already, so it'll hopefully look good-ish from day one. All the actual "live" rock I have in my tubs already has critters living on it and I couldn't bear breaking it up.

Considering ordering another one of these little Lifegard tanks for shrimp. I really like it that much. Still loathe that gap on the bottom but it's easily ignored.

·
Super Moderator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Friend sent me some LED fixtures from China that are shockingly bright. Tunable whites and adjustable blues. Ideal for small cubes - both freshwater planted and likely suitable for some simple coral like zoas and GSP. Perfect for macros in a shallow tank, so gonna give them a shot. I'll use a Fluval Nano if these don't work out.

Here's a look:

Need to get a few more than the two I have. Will be perfect for my 1 and 2gal cubes.

Guess it's time to start a tank journal...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts