The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... after waiting like 5 weeks for my in-laws to leave and then having some time for things to settle down from our trip prior to the in-laws arriving, here it is.

this 36g quarter-round was donated by a friend after i hooked him up with a 60g that another friend was giving away. :)

here's my 20g right before tearing it down. :sniff sniff:

took more than i expected to clean it up and paint the flat walls.

i was also thrilled that i was able to re-use my light, a simple 20" power compact.

had a little confusion on my part regarding what to get, but i was able to dig up one of wkndracer's thread. whew!

wasn't sure how much dirt to put in, so i just poured in about 1/2 the bag and patted it down a bit..

there are time when i really cannot stand flourite. probably didn't help that i re-used it from the 20g.

can't wait until it clears in about a day. running my two smallish HOBs for now. will set up the Fluval 305 tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah. thanks, kamikazi.

as you can see from the pic, there are places with more flourite and some places with less. there is at least 2" of dirt everywhere though.

water was still filthy this morning. cleaned out both HOBs and hope to see cleaner water when i get home this evening.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. So I accidentally stirred up some of the dirt and the tannins are making themselves known. Actually not a bad look, much softer. Just news to tone it down a bit.

BUT, I also have some funky clear/white fuzzy stuff growing in my driftwood. Removing it is not an option. It is secured to a flat piece of stone that is buried. :( any suggestions?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i think i might be in a bind.

i have 3 red claw shrimp and they have a tendency to dig. in particular, the big daddy red claw shrimp is digging a den under a rock, and is of course pushing out the dirt on top of the flourite.

am i going to have to deal with "tanned" water ad infinitum?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
removed the 3 red claw shrimp over the weekend and added 10 juvenile galaxy rasboras to the tank today.

on a diff note, i think my 305 might be putting out too much flow. any harm in dialing it back? does it stress the motor?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah. leaching tannins like crazy. it's slowed down, but it was pretty rough at the beginning.

the haze in the pic is mostly dust from the flourite. it's since gone away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.