The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the recommended mix of half aquaflora and half midday. The color of the tank looks really really pink still. My fixture holds four bulbs. Would it be recommended to use three midday bulbs and one aquaflora instead? Or perhaps balance out the pink with an aquablue?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you get sufficient light from two bulbs, just use two whites. The other two bulbs may balance the color out but may also turn your tank into an algae hell.

A blue would possibly balance it out some but it's hard to guarantee. You may end up with purple. Blue does a great job of balancing out harsh yellows/ambers but I'm not sure about red.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't like it, you can just go all whiter bulbs, it's not like it's a big deal or anything.
Actually it sort of is since I already bought these bulbs and they cost me a fortune

Redfish, do you think a 10000k bulb might do the trick? I did consider the fact that a blue bulb might cause a purple color. The blue one I'm considering is the aquablue from giesmann, which is actually a 15000k bulb.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Redfish, do you think a 10000k bulb might do the trick? I did consider the fact that a blue bulb might cause a purple color. The blue one I'm considering is the aquablue from giesmann, which is actually a 15000k bulb.
Not a single 10,000K.

Maybe 2 10K, 1 6500, and one flora/red.

And some 10,000K bulbs, like the UVL Aquasun is also a Pepto-bismol pink. Really.

Personally I really like having a blue 460nm bulb (NOT an actinic, they are 420nm violet and a terrible choice for planted tanks).

My LEDs are basically 2:1 in white:blue ratio and power setting.

Give the blue a shot, you never quite know. I will say this, you'll have a very useful PAR spectrum since blue and red are the two most active photosynthetic colors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally I really like having a blue 460nm bulb (NOT an actinic, they are 420nm violet and a terrible choice for planted tanks).

My LEDs are basically 2:1 in white:blue ratio and power setting.

Give the blue a shot, you never quite know. I will say this, you'll have a very useful PAR spectrum since blue and red are the two most active photosynthetic colors.

Which 460nm bulb do you prefer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.