The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this kit on Ebay and was thinking wow compared to other kits its a great price with a great reputation for bulbs. However I was not sure if the reflectors or ballast were any good which is why i came here to ask.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That looks like a pretty good deal to me. But, they don't show the reflector(s) so I can't tell if it uses a shaped reflector or a flat plate one. The description makes me believe it is shaped individual reflectors for each bulb.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The kits I read about on eBay and Amazon, which appear to be the same kit, don't include reflectors. They include reflective material. Presuming it fits in the box shown, odds are it's a rolled up film of some sort.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i see... Well when funds come in for me i'll purchase this kit regardless unless something better comes up and if the reflective material is no good then I shall go out and purchase two individual tek reflectors.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sure thing, of course if someone else happens to buy this fixture please let us know and post some pictures.

EDIT: found this site that actually shows the reflectors but the image is small. Doesn't exactly look like a U shaped reflector but instead a \_/ Let me know what you guys see.

photo

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just a couple things. First the original first line of the product description is missing. Which can be seen at Marine Depot or Giesemann's site.

• High performance reflector (real made in Germany)
And if you look at the product description from Amazon. I highly doubt that your going to fit a 4ft reflector into a 17 x 9 x 2 box. Well at least arriving in the intended shape :icon_roll

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh monkey, that's some good pointers...
I sent a email to the seller from amazon to see whats up and I'll post what they say, if it's just a mistake or not.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The reflectors look like a modified "W" shape, with the center flat, for mounting the bulb clips, followed by a downward curved transition to the slanted outer legs of the "W". I think many T5HO reflectors are shaped this way, just from what I have seen on the internet. A four foot reflector could come in 2 two foot pieces, but even those wouldn't fit into a 17" long box, so perhaps three 16 inch reflectors? I don't see a good reason why that wouldn't work well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The reflectors in the link you posted look like they only have like 6 bends in them and the Ice Cap and Tekk reflectors have between 10 and 14 bends I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts