The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I'm think about to buy a new lamp. Its a Giesemann Infiniti 2 x 80W / 4 x 54W . The problem is that my tank is 160cm long and the lamp is only 120 cm long. My question is: Is the lightingarea big enough to cover my tank with light or will i get dead zones in the ends ?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You should have no issues. Nice fixtures but I could not find the bulb combo on either the company or the distributor inventory list.
Is it a discontinued product?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Again, you will have no problems. How deep is this tank? This is another time it would be nice to be able to read german.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you have not found this out yet. You will have issues starting the tank with this much light.

Can you turn on the T5 seperately or do they run on one ballast?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's all fine and it's great you can afford such a lamp. Don't turn it all on for the full photo period. Use the MH for only 2 to 4 hours mid day.

If your afforded an opportunity with this fixture to run the T5's separately and not en mass. Stage your lamps to creep up to mid day at half staff then at mid day blast the MH for two or four hours then a gradual shut down.

My suspicion is your going to have to run all of the T5 at the same time... Not a biggie. Have the fixture a little higher over the tank. Run the T5 for 10 hours and blast those MH at the mid day for a few hours.

Ok I'm going to bed. I have to drive into work in the morning. Have a good day. :)

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
you don't reckon that the sides of the tank won't receive enough light?
it's 20cm on each side that has no direct light source..

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
You're going to have a lot of light in the center region of the tank. With the 250w MH you may need to raise the fixture a bit higher than you originally planned, but that may benefit you in extending the reach of the light further out towards the ends of the tank.

Personally, I'd lean towards buying the 3x150 MH + 2x80 T5. This would give you a more manageable light level as well as extend the light reach to the ends of the tank

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just sat down from the first cup o coffee, so 12" to 18"? Sorry noth thinking metric right now.

Bill may be right about the 250w in the mix. Now if there was a 2x80, 4x54 combo that would be the bees knees. The other thing to think about is the T5's are not that effective up there. Its almost mood lighting. :) I know of few that would hang any fluorescent that high over a tank.

I would not split hairs over the 20mm difference on either side. If your married to the 250's go for it and let us know how you do with them.

Fresh_Lynny is the only other member that I can think of with a combo fixture such as your looking at. Take a look at her 90g tank threads.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
But the 3x150 MH + 2x80 T5 is 180cm long ? How high do you think the fixture should be with the 250w ?
The fixture is 180cm wide, but 80w T5 are only 160cm wide. So these would give you full coverage of your tank during the entire lighting period. From what I've seen, most 180cm wide MH fixtures have the lights arranged slightly toward the center so I'd bet that the three MH bulbs would be pretty much centered over your size tank.

Ibn has a 90cm wide, 90g tank with a pair of 250w MH lights over it. I believe his canopy is 18" tall to keep the lights away from the water surface. but that's strictly for heat dissipation, not light spread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts