The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male blue ram and one tetra that have this issue. The tetra has actually had for a day or so before the ram got it.
It is a big white spot, looks like the flesh is rotting away almost. I am not sure what the problem could be.

75 gallon tank
about 30 community fish including 4 blue rams (2M,2F)that spawn like clock work.
ph is on the orange side, maybe high 6.8-7.2
I used a test strip and eveything seems ok.
Very light pink for nitrates
Ak was mid green
I did my last water change 2 days ago, only 10% and added 6 10ml caps of safecoat.
Temp runs around 80-81*f
not sure what else might be needed, but i am sure that I can answer almost any question and I have some video if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went home on lunch and did some testing. Heres the skinny... Nitrates - less than 20 Nitrites - less than .05 Hardness - between 120-150 AK - 80-120 PH - 6.8-7.2 Did the test tube test for ammonia - stayed yellow for the whole time. about 12 minutes waited... which means none were present. Last water change was 20 gallons on sunday, 10 on wednesday. Normally on 20 gallons on Sunday which is about 25% water change. Temp is 81*F

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the growth on a ram and a tetra, I'm guessing it is a fungus. I would treat them with aquarium salt in an established quarantine tank for a few days (established meaning it has a seasoned filter and heater) or do a salt bath twice a day (siphon aquarium water into a bucket with an airstone and aquarium salt for 15 minutes). In a smaller unplanted tank you could treat the whole community with salt, but I wouldn't want to do that in your situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts