The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is 75 gal, CO2 injected 30+ppm, 3dKH, 7dGH, 240 watts PC lighting for 11hrs. I dose ferts from Greg Watson N to 10ppm and K to 20ppm, P from fleet to 2 ppm all on even days. 15ml flourish and CSM-B on odd days. 10ml of excel daily. NO3 is a little under 10ppm, I have been holding it low to try to bring out the color in the Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'. Does not seem to be working on it only the tops are getting color. Also this plant grows more sideways than up.

The Vals are turning very red. The leaves that lay on the surface are completely blood red. There are no holes in the leaves and I can watch this plant grow.

So how do I make my Vals green and get my H. polysperma 'Rosanervig' to show better color?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Red means that you have plenty of light and the plants are thriving. You'll need to get the Hygros more light which means trimming the vals so that it's leaves doesn't take all the surface area of your tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, your vals are just happy.

Mine go red all the time too, the more light and or iron the reder they go. I actualy like them red. (If I have time I'll get some photos) Just keep hacking them back, it dosen't hurt them. If you want them green try cutting down on light and starve it of nutrience a little. *shrug* You may just get crinckly leaves then.

Or just stwitch to the thin Italian Val, or corkscrew. It stays green for me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here is a pic of mine, some are green some are red. I have been cutting them to keep them from covering the surface.

Would you consider selling one or two of the red ones? they would go perfectly with my Amazons. Thanks!

Dan O

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Would you consider selling one or two of the red ones? they would go perfectly with my Amazons. Thanks!

Dan O
Keep in mind that vals go red in lots of light. If you put them in a different tank they are likely to go right back to green...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keep in mind that vals go red in lots of light. If you put them in a different tank they are likely to go right back to green...
Define "lots of light". I have 192W over 46g, (about 35g actual water volume) for about 5.PG. Surely this is enough!? Or no?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts