The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is weird and hopefully someone will help answer this question for me.

I have some Giant Hairgrass. I bought about 3 pots of it and separated from the pots and rockwool and planted them. Soon I started to see runners going across the substrate. After about a month, I have noticed that one of the clumps of hairgrass had started to turn brown, but from the BOTTOM up. The upper half of the leaf was bright green. I pulled it up and the roots looked fine and in fact runners were spreading out from the rootball. WTF? All the other hair grass I have is growing like crazy and is green all the way from the bottom to the top and it growing out the top of my tank. I did decide to trim the tops and around the same time the browning from the bottom up started to develop (but only on one clump of plants)...

CO2 30ppm
pH 6.2
0Ammonia
0Nitrites
20Nitrates
300 GH (hardness?)
150 KG (Alkalinity?)

Any ideas? Everything else is growing like crazy...I also started to dose Iron today just to see if that would help. I noticed that there were new shoots growing up from the same clump that is suffering from this weird problem. If anyone has any idea what is going on with this one clump of hairgrass while it doesn't affect any of the rest, I'd LOVE to hear some ideas and suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Did the plants come from Florida Aquatics? I bought some over a month ago. It is still acclimating in the fashion you described. I just don't know enough at this point to even make a guess as to why one pot would crap out on you, while two others did fine. I've been playing with water params to see if I can get it going. I'll PM you if I think I'm on to something.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dosing?
micros?
phosphate?
EI method, I dose the following each week, but as to phosphate, I've no idea what those levels are...I do have some slight diatom algae and am dealing with a little thread algae but pretty much its clear, and my ottos are tackling the diatom algae like a machine!

x2 Excel 10mL daily
Flourish 5mL x1 (Micros)
Phosphorous 1mL x2
Nitrogen 2mL x1
Potassium & Iron 5mL x2

**unirdna, no my plants are from azgardens.com and they are always extremely health and deep green, and in fact most of the rest of it seems just as green as the day I got it in the mail apart from my thread algae issue near the substrate...any ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
maybe take the bad clump out

I don't know what is wrong with your bad clump but since you have lots of healthy stuff why not take the bad out. It could be a plant disease. I was interested to learn recently that plants are prey to all kinds of diseases, just like other life forms are. Why risk it spreading.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what is wrong with your bad clump but since you have lots of healthy stuff why not take the bad out. It could be a plant disease. I was interested to learn recently that plants are prey to all kinds of diseases, just like other life forms are. Why risk it spreading.
Excellent point, and yesterday I did just that...I tore out all the bad leaves and put replanted and today I find two new leaves growing from that very root ball so perhaps the problem has passed?

·
Registered
764 Posts
This might be a dummy question, but I'll shoot anyway...;)

Are you sure the brown color is a sign of the plant rotting?
Could it be a natural colouring?

Ok, this is a herbarium image so colours will be off... but doesn't that look like something you described?
The image of Eleocharis montevidensis.
We are talking of that that species, right?

If we are, then the Flora of North America gives the description of its leaves:
Leaves: distal leaf sheaths persistent, not splitting, mostly proximally dark red, distally red to brown or green

1 - 11 of 11 Posts