The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a nice 10+" pot of Giant Hairgrass Eleocharis montevidensis recently when I did some plant bartering. I unpotted it and separated the individual plants out of the root ball. It's been in the tank for about 2 weeks and some of it is browning, almost tan like a dried out lawn. Not all of it, just a few plants. I'm not quite sure why. It's got plenty of light and it's right around the power reactor so it gets more than enough CO2.

Maybe it's just acclimating slowly? Anybody have any ideas?

Tommy

·
Registered
34 Posts
FWIW, mine did the same thing over the last few months. Also have been seeing a lot of individual rushes coming loose. There's been some new growth, but overall I've got less than I came home with. The greatest losses were near the filter output, so maybe they don't like current. I also think they like more than 2' of water depth, since they grew right out of the water and got burned by the halide. They seem to be more demanding than their other Eleocharis sp. kin...good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Just happens. when you split the root up you are killing the roots of some of the plants so some die off is pretty normal IME. Now if excessive amounts are dieing you might have damaged more roots then you thought. Just pull the dieing spikes so they don't rot away. and leave the greens. they will spread out once they get themselves established.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts